Home Forums Topics Systems & Strategies What makes great offense? What makes great offense?

Anonymous
Inactive

@TJ Rosene great topic and perfect timing for me as our season ended last week. So I  am now in the process of examining our systems and strategies from this past season. 

When I think of Habits of Great Offense I always think of being Fundamentally sound. Coaching at the Junior High and High School levels, fundamentals are the biggest factor to being competitive on a yearly basis. That is why when I came across the Read & React Offense several years ago I incorporated  Rick Torbett’s  breakdown drills and use them on a daily basis or similar ones I have developed over the years to help develop our offensive fundamentals and habits.  

When I think of Great Offense, these things came to mind. Not in any order of importance but I think they greatly determine the actions to use in your team’s offense. Some are determined by the skill level and types of players that make up your team

-Offense’s ability to move the ball from side to side thus making the defense defend from sideline to sideline

-Offense’s ability to allow the offenses to value the ball (skill level really has an big impact on this one. Highly skilled players can run a higher risk ball handling offense)

-Offense’s ability to produce inside or paint scoring opportunities (Post ups or drives, etc..) as well as perimeter scoring opportunities.

-Offense’s  built-in offensive rebounding 

-Offense’s flexibility and adaptability to varying to different types of players and skill sets thus allowing varying personnel the best chance to be successful. Also, adaptability and flexibility against different defensive strategies (Passing Lane Denial, Gapped Passing Lanes, Pack Defenses, Trapping Defenses, etc..)  

-Offense’s ability to put foul pressure on the opposition

-Offense’s ability to create two man games and isolation opportunities within the flow of the offense

-Offense’s ability to create quick good shots when needed but also maintain possession that can eat the clock when needed

-Ease of flow into offense from transition 

-Offense’s ability to create space or gaps

I greatly look forward to diving deeper into this topic and seeing what the rest of the Key 5 community has to offer.