Home Forums Topics Systems & Strategies Narrow Deep Dive – How to get the ball into the post Narrow Deep Dive – How to get the ball into the post

Anonymous
Inactive

ah! very good. something I can speak to.

1st, Rick had some very good videos about running the system through a dominant post. Have you seen them?

2nd, the challenge with the system and a dominant post is maintaining enough space in the paint for your cutters to operate. Wandering Posts can clog the lane, and if your cutters are not a threat, or can be easily tagged by a stationary post defender, you become much easier to defend.

I’ve tried these rules with some success in the past:

1. Post plays SC-HP-HP-SC (eliminate the MP as a stopping spot; he’ll get there naturally). Call this “Maya,” because it looks like a Mayan Temple;
  2. Teach “patient on the porch.” Sitting in the SC, heels to baseline, is a great way to be forgotten by D, opening up easy cuts to the ball. Teach Post to let the perimeter get the D moving before moving to ball (Adam from PGC taught me this-he was a 1700 pt post scorer in college);
  3. Post is free to move SC-to-HP at any time, but may only cross center line AFTER cutter has cleared;
  4. Teach “weak to strong” movement. Post players like to follow the ball on strong side; teach them the advantage of flashing from behind D.
  5. STRESS screening for cutters and shaping to ball. This must be a HABIT. He’ll naturally find those screen-and-shape moves that put him in favorite positions to score.

Outside, teach your perimeter players to X-cut (pass, screen away for filler, dive to rim), especially when Post catches ball in favorite scoring spots. In the R&R, the 1st scoring option on a normal post feed is the cutter, followed by the post making a scoring move. X-cuts give the Post the opportunity to catch and attack an open lane without awaiting the cutter. Of course, there are lots of ways for Post to use the cutter, which you should also train (fakes, drafts, behind the back passes late).

Finally, run “Utah,” the cutter-HP backscreen action that John Stockton and Carl Malone ran for about a billion points. I run it out of a 1-4 High set, initiated by a Dribble At Point-to-Wing (a variation of a basic elevator screen play I run to get an open 3 at the top–when the D stays high, anticipating the cutter to fill point after DA basket cut, Cutter simply Utah screens for the SS HP). It’s one of our “Initiating Actions,” scripted stuff I run to get us in to a possession. They look like sets, which confuses the D, but are really just a R&R spacing alignment with one or two scripted actions that follow R&R rules and flow naturally into our motion.

That’s a  lot, but you asked for #deepdive. Hope this helps.