Home Forums Topics Culture INTENSIVE: Building Competition discussion Modeling for players INTENSIVE: Building Competition discussion Modeling for players

Anonymous
Inactive
On 6/28/2020 at 3:09 PM, Nelson Handel said:

Funny (or not funny), but we don’t see these issues nearly as much with men coaching women. I believe it’s FAR more important for female athletes to see successful female coaches in leadership positions than for guys. Social pressure for young women to conform to “ideals of femininity” is much higher than for young men, who are allowed a greater range of behaviors as “acceptable.” This is changing, but not nearly quickly enough for my taste.

Nelson,

I agree completely with your view on how important it is for female players to see female coaches in leadership positions. The majority of athletes in our program have always played for a male coach and that is the only experience that they have had. It can sometimes be harder for them to embrace leading because they haven’t experienced what that looks/feels like from another female previously.

I think personally I’ve come to realize over the past couple months what a great opportunity this is for me to model what great leadership looks like for our team and it isn’t something I want to take lightly. Being able to mentor and empower our players that would like to get into coaching is something that I am passionate about and would like to do a better job of as well.