Home Forums Topics Systems & Strategies 2 for 1 Philosophy

2 for 1 Philosophy

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

HI,

I was wondering if anybody has a 2 for 1 philosophy chart or something they use to help teach their team when they should go for the 2 for 1 situations. Thanks.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hey Rob! Welcome to Key5.

Great question.

If we had the ball with between 1:10-40 sec left we tried to go 2 for 1 in a situation where we might not have had the opportunity (30 sec shot clock).

The mindset or principle was to push hard in transition and look for a quick shot off an aggressive move – drive and kick, one on one at the rim depending on who had the ball in their hands. If we had a 5-10 second quick-hitter or call in transition we would use that – looking for the first available open look. How to frame any teaching of shot selection in these special situations is important. I would think it could be similar to your low shot clock situations, where you would want players to look quickly to create or maybe you have a go-to action.

This may be a good topic to add to our next master class about transition offense: @Sam Allen, @TJ Rosene

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thank you for the response, do you have a frame work for who is taking the attempts? Is it similar to your late clock actions? How much planning have you done on preventing a 2 for 1 situation?

Anonymous
    Inactive

great question. We have a call around the same time frame Lisa shared. We run a quick play called pistol…however we are still not taking anything less than a 7. I see so many wasted shot attempts looking for the 2 for 1 

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Rob,

Yes we played a lot of 4 and 2 minute games to, because you probably want to save your timeouts your players will have to recognize the strategy on the court, potentially without a stoppage. So the short games (mimicking ‘end of quarter’) were really helpful. I think getting the ball into your best playmakers hands would be the best bet, but depending on time anyone with the ball would also be triggered to make an aggressive move to the basket hopefully either creating a good shot for themselves, getting to the free throw line, or kicking out for a three. Worst case scenario a poor shot or turnover leads to 2 pts on the other end. So ‘who’ does matter and I hear TJ on ‘wasted shot attempts’. Maybe defining roles on who shouldn’t have the ball in these scenarios would be helpful.

When you’re practicing these games you could also coach the defense. Obviously both teams could/should be looking for 2 for 1 opportunities, so I think recognition by players would be the most helpful. But I don’t know how many teams really prioritize the 2 for 1 situations. I think it’s mostly untapped. If you’re playing a team that you know goes for this strategy, you may be able to pick out how they attack it and game plan to mix it up on them defensively in these situations.

Really good questions.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Statistics

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags