Home Forums Topics Systems & Strategies BLOBs & SOBs

BLOBs & SOBs

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Coaches,

What is your overall philosophy and approach for BLOBs (Baseline Out of Bounds) and SOBs (Side-out of Bounds)?

Specific Questions I’d be curious to know:

How many formations do you use? (Box, Diamond, 1-4 high, etc)?

How many sets out of each formation do you have?

Do you try to score or just want a safe inbounds?

How many points per game do you average on BLOBs and SOBs?

For Defense, do you run 100% Zone, 100% man, mix it up, aggressive, straight up?

#GrowTheGame

Anonymous
    Inactive

Good morning @Sam Allen,

The alignments I use for BLOBs are (2 stacks and 1 box) for SLOBs (2 sets w/multiple screening actions)

1st option is to look for a quick score then second option is to get the ball in safely an run a set offense depending on what the defense is giving us.

I am probably averaging 2-8 points in our BLOB alignments and 0 points in our SLOB alignments per game this season.

I definitely believe in mixing up the defense so that the offense has to adjust throughout the course of the game unless a specific defense alignment is having major success in the game. 

Anonymous
    Inactive

We use all box sets, which is the preference of the head coach, however, I like using multiple alignments with a couple different actions from the same alignment. 

All of our BLOBs are designed to score. We primarily use one SLOB for a score and one against pressure to be safe. 

When you ask how many points we are averaging per inbounds play, are you asking specifically out of the action we run or points even if the action doesn’t score but we score on that possession? If it is the first, then I would say we are scoring at a 25% or less clip, if it is the latter, we are higher at 50+%.  

Straight up man to man. Full and half.  

Anonymous
    Inactive

I run multiple sets for my BLoBs. One year I tried to run everything out of one set and it really confused the kids I was coaching.  We probably average 3-6 points per game on BLoBs out of 3 different formations. 

In each set we have one lay up opportunity, at least one jump shot opportunity and a safety. 

I am 100% zone on BLoBs. I feel it is gives me so much more control over what I will see. The HC I was assistant to for the first 6 years would go zone until the ball came in and then would switch to man but I have never been comfortable doing that. 

On SOBs, during my second year I listened to Bob Hurley speak and he said something that I have followed since then. We used to have sets on our SOBs that we spent time practicing and perfecting and then when teams would have us scouted out they would disrupt and cause turnovers. Since then I call a shape and then tell GO (Ex. triangle GO!). GO stands for Get Open. The kids on the floor get in that shape and freelance to get open. We teach them how to screen and cut using our motion offense so we let them use those same principles on our SOBs. Since changing to this philosophy we probably have less than 2 or 3 turnovers on SOBs a season, even with my not as gifted teams. I do have one quick hitter for a last second shot, but other than that it is G.O.!

Anonymous
    Inactive

@Robert Brunk, Thank you for sharing your SLOBs philosophy. I really like the simplicity of the GO call and allowing the freedom of the players to read and react to what the defensive will give them. 

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have always preferred a read and react style offense, and found that blobs in particular, and to a lesser extent slobs, were a great place to focus on well designed scoring plays.  I use multiple sets with each having options and counters.   We definitely look to score out of these situations, trying to make it a strength.  I can’t say how many points per game, but our goal was a significantly higher efficiency than our overall average, targeting 1.3 points per possession vs 1.05 overall.  We are right in that range with most teams.   Our package of sets is always shifting based on personnel.

On defense I am comfortable playing either man or zone, but practice specifically they common attack points and how to take them away from the offense.

Anonymous
    Inactive

@Steven Bingham I wish that I could take credit for it as my own creation but I borrowed it from someone else!  I think it has been most effective in late game situations because the other team can’t predict what we are going to do.  My better teams have been able to string together actions on my calls.  Example:  “Box Middle GO”.  All that means is start in a box set, then whoever catches the ball gets a ball screen to attack the middle of the floor from our 5.  

Anonymous
    Inactive
    On 1/15/2020 at 9:14 AM, Sam Allen said:

Hi Sam,

I’m using the BLOBS and SLOBS you shared on the Live learning before the season. I was set to use another screen-the-screener set, but I liked how the diamond formation fit with my press and press break formations. We’re running Fist slob and Diamond Blob. We’ve seen a ton of zones D this year, so we run “flood” from diamond, which usually gets us that wide open WS three.

1 main and 1 variation, for both m2m and zone. I like to keep it simple. Too much thinking inhibits flow, and I’m a flow guy.

I always want to score. What could be a  better opportunity than running a set play from stationary positions?

I don’t fully trust Hudl stats on this, but it says our BLOB and SLOB % is around 33% “successful,” meaning, i suppose that we score on that possession. I can’t attest to how many points are coming directly from the OB action. it says our “ppBlob” is .75, but it says the same about our ppSLOB, and with all the zone we’re seeing, I can say for certain we get almost nothing on SLOBs. (I’m looking for a better SLOB vs zones, if you have one.) Against zones, I feel we get a good shot on the inbounds vs zones about 65% of the time.

For Defense, do you run 100% Zone, 100% man, mix it up, aggressive, straight up?

#LockLeftNation. We are rabid dogs; we eat pestitude for lunch.

#letsgetbetter

Anonymous
    Inactive

Here you go – run two actions – four formations. 

The same action out of a box, flat, diamond and line will look very different and get you different things. 

You get more practice time and free your players up to focus on cleverness within similar actions. 

Anonymous
    Inactive

We use 1 alignment for BLOBS…everything runs out of a box alignment.

We have 3 sets we run against man and 3 we run against zone. Unless it is the end of the game and I want something specific, all BLOBs are determined by the time clock. (Even, Odd and 0). We use the last digit to determine which play we run. The only call coming from our bench is communicating what defense our opponents play (“Zone” or “Man”)…therefore there are no calls are coming from the bench when it comes to scouting purposes. The girls are usually aware of what teams will play against us from our scouting report, but we often confirm that for them each BLOB. 

We have two SOBS – one for scoring and one for safely getting the ball inbounds. 

We try to score anytime we can…I do feel if we don’t try to score our kids will not cut as hard and make it easier for teams to defend us. I do like the G.O. concept as an easy way to communicate with the players. 

I would say we get 2-8…

For Defense, do you run 100% Zone, 100% man, mix it up, aggressive, straight u

We mix it up based on what we know about a team and what they try to do on BLOBs…our default setting is man. 

Anonymous
    Inactive

What is your overall philosophy and approach for BLOBs (Baseline Out of Bounds) and SOBs (Side-out of Bounds)?

I’m much more aggressive in scoring (and preventing scoring) on BLOBs. I don’t know why but I’ve never been a big SOBs coach. 

One. Everything runs out of a box. Makes it much harder to scout our BLOBs because they all look the same. 

4-5 out of box. But each set has a counter option “up” that is just a small wrinkle. So 4-5 BLOBs with two options gives us upwards of 10 sets with very little practice time needed. 

BLOBs = score
    SOBs = get it in (area of improvement for me as a coach here though)

BLOBs = 8-12 points (unscientifically. I called all the BLOBs throughout last season and we often scored on at least 1 per quarter). We had stretches where our BLOBs kept us in games because our half court offense was struggling so badly. 

Preseason = run our matchup zone b/c it is what we are working on

League = scout specific. Often we will give a 2/3 zone look but then chase a player on inbound (making it a man d vs. a zone BLOB set)

Anonymous
    Inactive

How many formations? 5 alignments     Box, Diamond, Triangle (moved around on the floor), 1-4 High, Offset Line, Horizontal Line

How many sets out of each formation?  Box alignment has four sets that can be used against man or zone. 

Triangle, 1-4 High, Diamond have two in them

Offset Line has two and are zone specific 

Horizontal Line we use against switching man or match-up zones

*No matter the BLOB we end all the actions with a cross screen and a down screen against man and zone.  

Do you try to score or play it safe ?     BLOB:  Score      SLOB: Get it in bounds but we have a couple we try score with when needed. 

How many points per game do we average from BLOB and SLOB?       average about 5   

For Defense, do you run 100% Zone, 100% man, mix it up, aggressive, straight up? About 90% match-up zone our primary defense.  After talking to a coaching colleague of mine last year we started playing triangle and two on some BLOBS.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Sam, great question.  

We run two sets, 1-4 and diamond (from your Live Learning).  We run multiple variations out of each one. 

We teach to always look at what the defense is giving us when it comes to scoring.  If there is an opportunity, take it.  If there are not clear opportunities,  early we look to get ball in while setting scoring opportunies up later in the game or when we may be in a scoring drought.  

We average around 7 points a game from BLOB plays, 2-3 FT would be included in that total.  We have one out action out of the 1-4 set that we really try to attack the basket and get to the line a lot out of that one. 

SLOB has been a bit of an issue for us, we have not had many scoring opportunties and for most part have worked hard to just get the ball in quickly into our offense while looking for any mismatches from switches.  

Our defense is primary a match up zone.

Anonymous
    Inactive

sam,

for BLOBs, we use the same formation  1-4 Low, and we run them all to score. they all look similar and have screen-the-screener type actions. 

and we only use 3 sets — ODD, EVEN, ZERO

we never call out the play. it is based on the last number on the timer. So if there is 5:09 left – the kids all know to run ODD.

if it’s 58.4 seconds left, then it is EVEN

and if it is 6:30, then it is ZERO .

we don’t slap the ball either. once the ref hands the inbounder the ball, that is the sign to go. 

with 1-4 low, if teams do sit in a 2-3 we usually have a great 3-pt shooter in each corner so we just throw it to them if they are open, instead of running the play. i let the players figure that out.

it makes coaching BLOBs and SLOBs so much easier! obviously, if we want to run a certain action, then i can yell out ‘ODD”…but i rarely do that. 

it is so nice, because how many times are you coaching a player on the bench, not looking at the action and all of a sudden they are like, coach what inbounds play should we run? 

SLOBs don’t happen as much during high school games…so i do have that option, but it is hard to try to score on each of those. so i have mostly just gone to simply inbounding the ball. but we do have an ODD, EVEN, ZERO we use if we are trying to score at the end of the quarter/game.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    On 1/15/2020 at 11:14 AM, Sam Allen said:

Coaches,

#GrowTheGame

Overall Philosophy: I want to score/get a quality shot and set my press/defense. 

Formations: I currently use one formation for BLOB and SLOB. I keep the 4 and 5 close to the ball. (at the blocks for BLOB and at the elbows for SLOB)

Sets: I have 3 sets out of each. Each starts the same and has a counter. The first two are very similar and the 3rd is most unique. (Now this is JV ball so I may have to up my game soon/ Also, tons of people in the area have stolen my BLOBs since I have come here)

SCORE. SCORE. SCORE SOME MORE.

PPG: Guilty that I do not know this number, need to measure it. 

Defense: I have changed it often. I had a really successful 1-3-1 team and we checked to 1-3-1 on BLOB and SLOB no matter what. We trapped out of our 1-3-1. Have run some switching man to man at times in late game situations or as a changeup/curveball. Rarely do I play it “straight up” I am trying to pressure them or trap them at some point. In my early years I would go 2-3 and then jump when the ball is reversed back to the top of the key and in 1-3-1 I force to the corner and trap. 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Statistics

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags