Home Forums Topics Systems & Strategies Creative Ways to use film?

Creative Ways to use film?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I was wondering how to be more creative with film review for my team. 9th grade boys. We only have one gym, so we rarely practice at the school and don’t have a “film room” or locker room most days. So I’ve been trying to do film/game review outside of practice via our GroupMe app. It works ok, but I am curious what others are using/doing?

We have HUDL, but I find just giving them the regular clips/playlist is not engaging enough. So I have been creating highlight videos after each game and breaking those down instead (but you can’t add the arrows/comments). 

anyhow, I’m just curious if anyone has any creative ways they do film review?

please list any software/apps you use.

thanks,
    Joe

Anonymous
    Inactive

@Joe Gonzalez I have found highlight films or clips to be great teaching tools and great builders of confidence. We are limited on places to watch film in our gym, it is usually cramming into my office to watch a computer screen.

Something we have tried over this quarantine period is having my players go back and watch a game and to scout our team. Look for strengths, deficiencies and tendencies. Team wise and individuals wise. We were a very young team last year so anything we can do to improve our knowledge of the game helps. Also, I have allowed my players to ask questions about various coaching strategies within each game. I always try to tell my players up front the “Why” as we are working on things in practice. It was very interesting getting their perspective on some game situations. If we are going to be dissect our team and players then I feel that we as coaches should be included in this process as well. I think it has been very beneficial.

I think I might try next year allowing them to break down the opposition. Instead of just letting them see clips of what we are facing.  Should make for some interesting discussion.

Anonymous
    Inactive

@Joe Gonzalez

We use HUDL as well and what ive done is put together maybe 10 clips and then given my guys a google form with questions about the clips. Usually its what was the key to that possession? so could be spacing, a good individual play, an action within our offense (we run read n react) was it multiple actions back to back that created the good look, for defensive possessions its are we in the right help positions, did we defend the ball screen correctly, did we have the right rotations. Its a way to see what they think is important and if they are understanding what we are trying to do offensively and defensively as a program. We’ve also given them clips and asked for shot ratings (we use the PGC shooting scale extensively in our program) and ask them to explain why they gave the # they did.

Essentially we try to create an opportunity for them to have to think about the clips and analyze them based on our offensive and defensive principles.

Hope this helps,

Sean

Anonymous
    Inactive

@Dennis Wright thanks. i really like seeing what the players think of your strategy. 

@Sean Dooley Sean, i think i could incorporate Dennis’s ideas into your form. I really like the form idea. 

thanks coaches!

-joe

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Statistics

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags