Home Forums Topics Culture Culture advice?

Culture advice?

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

You must have a plan in place to build your culture. We would never think of showing up to practice without a practice plan and we would never plan for a season without a master plan in place for how and what we are going to teach. I have learned the hard way that creating a culture of excellence takes a lot of work and a lot of planning. We have time built in our schedule each week for a culture check…and we create a situation where the girls have to lead. We often want player led teams but we don’t create situations where they are given the opportunity to do so. 

Here is a link that gives more detail on how we create our culture…

https://lifebeyondsport.com/9-ways-transform-culture/

This year we also started to “measure” each of our pillars using the attached rubric. 

I wish I had known this 20 years ago when I first started coaching. 

Culture of Exellence .pdf

Attachments:

Anonymous
    Inactive

“Culture is not what you proclaim. It is what you practice, promote, and permit.” -Tim Kight

Anonymous
    Inactive

@Lenny Krebs I think that is great stuff! It’s always awesome when they take ownership and become invested!

Anonymous
    Inactive

@Lenny Krebs that is some very good and definitely beneficial material. Thank you for sharing and providing the link and rubric!! 

Anonymous
    Inactive
    On 2/3/2020 at 1:07 PM, Lenny Krebs said:

You must have a plan in place to build your culture. We would never think of showing up to practice without a practice plan and we would never plan for a season without a master plan in place for how and what we are going to teach. I have learned the hard way that creating a culture of excellence takes a lot of work and a lot of planning. We have time built in our schedule each week for a culture check…and we create a situation where the girls have to lead. We often want player led teams but we don’t create situations where they are given the opportunity to do so. 

Here is a link that gives more detail on how we create our culture…

https://lifebeyondsport.com/9-ways-transform-culture/

This year we also started to “measure” each of our pillars using the attached rubric. 

I wish I had known this 20 years ago when I first started coaching. 

Culture of Exellence .pdf 2.27 MB · 12 downloads

@Lenny Krebs I love this. Do you use that rubric with the kids?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yes, we use the rubric with the kids. They actually design it at the beginning of the season. Then we use it throughout the year to “check” where we are for each pillar. The rubric will change each year as each new group will determine what excellence looks like. I feel like this is giving the players ownership. 

Our season ended on Saturday when we lost 45-44 to a 25-2 team…we will take some time off for the next couple weeks and then the coaching staff will choose their two leaders for the pillar they teach. We will then begin to train them throughout the spring and summer. These are the kids who will help establish the rubric for next season. 

Anonymous
    Inactive

Just like character, Culture is caught, not taught.

We can provide buzz words, talk, and coach speak all we want, but if we don’t put systems and strategies in place for the culture like we do on the floor, there’s not gonna be any growth or adherence to any core values. 

Anonymous
    Inactive
    On 1/6/2020 at 8:33 PM, TJ Rosene said:

What is the best bit of advice you have ever been given about culture? 

Not to kiss up—but for sure it is what I’ve heard you say.

“It’s our job to prepare the child for the road, not the road for the child”

It helped me to feel confident that I can hold my guys accountable and to an extremely high standard while still demonstrating my love for them and building positive, lasting relationships.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Nate that is a good one. It is definitely a guard rail and a reminder for me on the regular.  

Justin Gerstung
    Participant
    On 4/30/2020 at 3:07 PM, TJ Rosene said:

Nate that is a good one. It is definitely a guard rail and a reminder for me on the regular.  

The guardrail series is so good… it is a family share about every other month!

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.