Day 2

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Challenge: Spend some time reflecting on what the leaders on your team may need in the year and season ahead, and put pen to paper on what that support system will look like.

Post in the Forum: Would love to hear what you’re doing or what you’ve done in the past. Post below to share with our community.

Let’s get it,

TJ

Anonymous
    Inactive

I feel like the over achiever posting this one so soon. This is actually something I planned out with my coaching mentor (Key 5 member -just not very active)

a couple weeks ago. 

4 players identified as prospective team leaders (2 varsity, 2 JV)

Over the off season – read together The Team Captain’s Leadership Manual, Jeff Janssen, MS

As the season is beginning plan to start working through the workbook, The Mental Makings of Champions, Janssen

Will will have brief, weekly meetings with the athlete leaders and coaches to discuss/monitor their growth as leaders and to identify

problem areas with the team and devise plans for solutions. 

Day 2 in the books.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I failed at this this year as I never gave my players the opportunity to lead.  The first mistake I made was when I allowed the team to vote for captain which lead to the most popular girls becoming the team captains. I had captains but no leaders.

The one thing I plan on doing next year is identifying the team leader and then showing her the traits of what a captain has (thanks Lisa) and giving her the tools (Books) and the opportunities that she needs to grow and excel as a leader.  

For me, a captain is more than the player that meets with the referees at the start of the game. They meet the referees and then go back and relay to the team what was said and is vocal both on and off the court.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks for the shout out @Stevie Jones. This is a great challenge from TJ.

We created a leadership group at SMC and tried to keep it around 4 players (14-15 on the roster) and tried to meet at least every two weeks.
    We then tried to be creative with the different topics and activities we did in those meetings. I would recommend having plans/ideas to use before the season starts because as we know in-season, we always run out of time.

Also it’s important to be mindful of who’s in it because they have influence, but will need more mentoring and guidance in their leadership. And those who possess leadership qualities, but need help gaining more influence.

Having the group work together, recognizing and utilizing each other’s strengths can be a great support system.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    18 hours ago, Doug Smith said:

I feel like the over achiever posting this one so soon. This is actually something I planned out with my coaching mentor (Key 5 member -just not very active)

a couple weeks ago. 

4 players identified as prospective team leaders (2 varsity, 2 JV)

Over the off season – read together The Team Captain’s Leadership Manual, Jeff Janssen, MS

As the season is beginning plan to start working through the workbook, The Mental Makings of Champions, Janssen

Will will have brief, weekly meetings with the athlete leaders and coaches to discuss/monitor their growth as leaders and to identify

problem areas with the team and devise plans for solutions. 

Day 2 in the books.

I love that. Have you done the The Team Captains Leadership Manual before?

Anonymous
    Inactive

I just got on and saw this challenge and wanted to respond because I realized that when my three captain leaders graduated this year, I have a bunch of great kids but maybe only one who is wanting to lead, but I don’t know how much others will follow him.  A couple others who I think could be leaders that players will follow.  So, my challenge is to somehow help them develop into leaders and to make this a productive off-season with those guys leading the way.   I have some ideas I want to develop into a plan, but will be very interested in seeing what others do for this.

Anonymous
    Inactive

TJ, I have not done the book or manuel before, but Coach Carey has. He thinks it is great. 

Anonymous
    Inactive

@Brad Storm i will share some of mine as I develop a more in-depth plan. Look forward to hearing yours. 

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Statistics

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags