Home Forums Topics Master Teaching Defensive Drills

Defensive Drills

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Coaches,

I am looking for defensive drills to create an aggressive defensive team.

The type of defensive drills I am looking for is “quick change” drills, meaning you go from one drill to another within 2-3 mins for a total time of about 20 mins.  I coach JV and Varsity girls who practice at the same time, so the drills need to be full court for 30 girls to get lots of reps, or half court drills so I can split the teams apart and get lots of reps. 

I am NOT looking for an offensive system, but I am looking for drills that we will run every day for 20 – 30 minutes to create habits.

I am doing something similar on offense to build an uptempo offensive team.  I want to be the team that no one wants to play because of our pace on offensive and aggressive in-your-face defense.

My weakness is I have to teach aggressiveness and change my girls’ mindset. 

Anyone have any drills that fit my requirements that they are willing to share?

Thanks in advance

Stevie

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hey Stevie,

I know this is a late reply here to your question. Here are a few thoughts:

1. if you do a 20-30 mins time period where you are trying to create pace and lets say run a “Green” segment, consider being very clear when outlining it that your expectation is that players are sprinting and moving quickly between drills or between reps.

2. Remove or reduce coaching so that the pace can be achieved and sustained. Too much coaching or talking can slow down the pace.

3. For defense, what 3-4 habits do you want to establish…We do a 1v1 closeout and compete drill where you have to do 3 things to get a stop. We have 6 baskets in the gym going, everyone let’s say competing on the right wing. Defense must:

a) high hands    b) no middle drive    c) must box out or hit and release

*If the defense wins, they stay on defense at that goal, the offense has to sprint to next basket in 4 seconds or less. If Offense scores, defense must rotate baskets…

*Depending on number of players in practice determines how many each start at each basket. With 6 baskets going, there is a lot of action in the gym

*This is just one example of creating pace. It’s important that the coach or coaching staff has high level of accountability or clarity on their communication as far as expectations.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Statistics

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags