Home Forums Topics Player Development Drill Bank

Drill Bank

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Coaches,

During this time of being away from our basketball players/team I wanted to create a drill library. I was hoping to create one for drills that we use in practice a long with ones I could use for individual player development that we could use in the summer in the future and this summer as our players are away from us. We are using a read and react offense and love to use SSGs for development. I was hoping to create a document with links to videos or diagrams of the drill. I know that this is something that many of you have already developed, as a young coach I have yet to do so. I was hoping to accomplish this now while away from our players. I was wondering if anyone had already begun doing this that would be willing share any insight.

Thanks,

Nik

Anonymous
    Inactive

Nikolaus, 

Here is something I share with all guards, especially young guards. 

BFS is a proprietary program that has been around a long time. I invented the shuttle run. The total distance covered comes out equal to the length of  high school court. 

It is a place to start, and we quickly add, modify the plan. 

GUARD DEVELOPMENT.docx
    BFS Dot drill.pdf
    BFS stretches 1.pdf
    BFS stretches 2.pdf
    Shuttle run.pdf

Attachments:

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks @Doug Smith for sharing and @Nikolaus Schweikert for the thread. Fellow youngish (turned 30 yesterday) head coach here and I’m trying to do the same thing.

The GUARD DEVELOPMENT doc is awesome–reminds me of a Point Guard College classroom session right before we go play RACECAR for a 20 minute segment ?

Also @Nikolaus Schweikert you should jump on Twitter and give Rudy Bentley a follow. His handle is @rudybentleyjr 

Throughout the COVID 19 pandemic he has been posting workouts and jumping on The Peek with awesome skill workout ideas that could easily be molded into an organized structure — and another PGC director, Chad Songy, put out a bodyweight workout as well for strength and agility (@chadsongy Twitter). 

If anyone would like, I’d be totally down to make a shared Google Drive Folder/Doc and collaborate to brainstorm/create this.  I have already set this as a goal for myself to send out to my players by May 17 so the turnaround time will be pretty quick.

If anyone would like to join me DM me on here OR email my personal email — wadeza@sjredwings.org

Let’s keep getting better. 

Anonymous
    Inactive

@Doug Smith Thanks for sharing! I really like the guard development stuff. @Nate Wade I would love to get some stuff together working with another coach on collaborating putting together a drill bank. Thanks for the suggestion on Rudy Bentley. I have also been sending my athletes Tucker Herzberg’s workouts he has put into a google sheet. You can find it on his Twitter @TuckerHerzberg or you can find it on Lead’Em Up website I believe. It is really good for strength training for our athletes during this time.

I am really hoping to design a drill bank that is organized into a document that focuses on drills I would use in practice or kids could use by themselves. Then insert hyperlinks so I can bring drill up. I feel like this would help with practice planning. Like the one here: 

Anonymous
    Inactive

Nikolaus,

Here is something I have done. Whenever I see anything I like or even think I might use I copy it or copy the link and pate in in OneNote. 

You can organize it however you want. The attachment here is probably too small to read, but I think you can get the premise. 

Filed under skills – guard play — short description (with my scoring 0 to +++) & the link is right below the description. 

When I get to plan anything for practice, not often, I use the accumulated information and links a lot. 

Onenote screen shot.docx

Attachments:

Anonymous
    Inactive

@Doug Smith

Thanks for sharing this! I love that idea. It looks like an excellent way to organize. I have never used OneNote, but might be something worth looking into it. This is a great way organize and then have the ability to copy and paste it into my practice plans! 

Anonymous
    Inactive

Wow guys–great stuff. 

I’ve already started to get a big drill bank going—I’m actually grabbing some of these drills from professionals and linking them in a Google Doc based on how many players it takes. 

AMAZING idea sharing to both of you–thank you!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Nikolaus — I am not a computer guy. One reason I got out of medicine when I did. OneNote – is user friendly and intuitive. 

Nate – I am hitting you up on email to follow your data base build. 

Anonymous
    Inactive
    On 5/5/2020 at 7:05 AM, Doug Smith said:

Nikolaus, 

Here is something I share with all guards, especially young guards. 

BFS is a proprietary program that has been around a long time. I invented the shuttle run. The total distance covered comes out equal to the length of  high school court. 

It is a place to start, and we quickly add, modify the plan. 

GUARD DEVELOPMENT.docx 14.68 kB · 7 downloads BFS Dot drill.pdf 699.59 kB · 2 downloads BFS stretches 1.pdf 574.01 kB · 1 download BFS stretches 2.pdf 684.19 kB · 1 download Shuttle run.pdf 195.28 kB · 1 download

officially stolen. Thanks @Doug Smith!

Anonymous
    Inactive

@Nelson Handel said & I quote:

officially stolen. Thanks @Doug Smith!

And I reply, “Citizen’s arrest. Citizen’s arrest.” 

(My oldest daughter & I are TAGS graduates – every episode beginning to end – original series, not Mayberry,RFD)

Anonymous
    Inactive

Baby, I only steal from the best!

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m thinking that this drill base would be even more impactful if it were done with a mixture of professional trainers/coaches and then our HS team as well–that way it’s more tailored to US AND the pros at the game…

Thoughts?

Anonymous
    Inactive

@ NateWade I was finally able to check out your start on the drill bank you have started. Solid work. 

In a couple weeks, I may be able to make some suggestions for inclusion. I will email those to you and let you decide if, where, and how you want to add it.

Thanks, 

Doug

Anonymous
    Inactive

@Nikolaus Schweikert @Nate Wade @Doug SmithGreat stuff, just a little side note on the Dot Drill. you guys might already knows this but BFS has a time chart that rates the times of completion for both males and females. Now if you time them on the DOT Drill which I believe is a must, that number has  a meaning to each player of how well they performed. I always hang that chart up by where my players perform the DOT Drill. So now they are not only competing to be the quickest on the team but your quickest players keep pushing themselves to move up the chart. Also, I do not have to push them because of the measuring stick the chart provides. 

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Statistics

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags