Home Forums Topics Systems & Strategies Film Buddy? (#lockleft)

Film Buddy? (#lockleft)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Nate Wade

Hey Guys!

I’m just going crazy with all of this time to learn/watch film.

I’m wondering if anyone who uses the #LockLeft system would be willing to share some of their film with me on HUDL?

I do NOT want this to be something that is coming off like I want to judge. That’s not the case. I just want to learn. I coach HS Varsity boys, and really want to see what it looks like with a team of kids running it–doesn’t matter the stage. I’d like to see it all.

My email I’m registered to HUDL is –> wadeza@sjredwings.org   and the team I’m just taking over is “St Johns High School – Boys Varsity Basketball”

THANK YOU ALL TO ANYONE WILLING TO SHARE/MENTOR

Feel free to email me personally or DM me on here.

I’ll hook you up Nate.

are you in MI?

Nate Wade

Yes sir. The mitten state. 

Nate Wade
    42 minutes ago, Nelson Handel said:

I’ll hook you up Nate.

Thanks Nelson. 
    you’re the man. 

Not opposed to more sharing as well! 

Reyna Luplow
    On 4/24/2020 at 3:22 PM, Nelson Handel said:

I’ll hook you up Nate.

Nelson, I would love to get in on this as well. I have been trying to find teams to watch that play the Lock Left! Thanks! 

fire me your email or your Hudl handle via PM @Reyna Luplow. I’ll send you some  links. Happy to share.

Ryan Robie

@Nate Wade here is a package I put together after our first season (last year) running #LockLeft

https://www.hudl.com/video/2/13930/5ec58dfe5ca8f208d8ad0fe4

Had a lot of success with it but definitely areas to get better in for sure. Took a while to get buy in but once we did, it was magic!

Great share @Ryan Robie! Looks like they were having fun running it. Agree that it takes a couple of games to get buy-in, but after that, it does wonders.

I especially like your controller discipline.  My boys tend to get a little over aggressive and get called for reaching fouls.

Nate Wade

@Reyna Luplow Check out the video that @Ryan Robie just posted… extremely helpful.

Thanks Ryan. The way you broke things down into sections was awesome… I’m trying to do the same thing to some old film I have on HUDL for things like “good shot selection” etc… but it seems I’m not as versed in the HUDL editing ways quite yet. 

I’m really getting into the Lock Left…. I’m really excited about giving it a go this season (hopefully we get to play).  

Ryan Robie

@Nelson Handel thanks for the comment. We were really fortunate to have 2 controllers that were quicker defensively on the ball than almost anyone they had to guard. One was a senior so the other girl will really need to continue to dominate the defensive side of the floor for us this year. To me, the controller is vital to the success of LL. I think you can get away with other things not being perfect, they need to be really good.

@Nate Wade appreciate the feedback. I tried to do LL a few years ago but I didn’t buy in enough to make it work. This past summer I committed to being all in on it and it made all the difference. It is your job to convince them this is going to work and allow them to be successful.

Also, I don’t run LL exactly like Tyler does it. We follow most all of the basic principles but found when we were as aggressive as suggested, especially in denying passes to the right, teams started to stretch us out. So we still pressure the ball but we are willing to allow passes to the right as long as they are several feet off the 3 point line. Once teams are in scoring range, we really ramp up our LL rules/principles.

Nate Wade

@Ryan RobieI think that’s how we will need to play it as well….

We’ve had some open gyms here in MI — and the offseason rules are pretty stringent — so we’ve been toying with it in 4 man groups — Our kids are really liking forcing left haha. The ones who do that alone are winning more pickup games during open gyms — so buy in is getting there. 

Also—My coaching staff and I went over in detail how to cover on ball screens with our current group and simplified it to aggressively switching everything and maintaining force to the left. It has gone over well in our workouts. 

I don’t know if you guys saw that in November there will be a big ‘update’ from @Tyler Costonon the LL — I’m pumped that I’ll be gearing up for season and get to dive in. 

Reyna Luplow
    On 8/19/2020 at 3:46 PM, Ryan Robie said:

@Nate Wade here is a package I put together after our first season (last year) running #LockLeft

Had a lot of success with it but definitely areas to get better in for sure. Took a while to get buy in but once we did, it was magic!

@Ryan Robie since last year was your first year running lock left how deep into the layers did you go? 

Care to share some drills you implemented at practice with me? My first year as a varsity coach and I want to put this in right away. We have been doing some drills in our 4-man workouts, but want to be prepared for which drills we will use in practice.

Adrian Mills
    On 8/19/2020 at 3:46 PM, Ryan Robie said:

Coach @Ryan Robie

This is phenomenal can I use this highlight package to show my players so they will get a visual of what our defense will look like?

Thanks 

Adrian

Matt McLeod
    On 9/24/2020 at 9:37 AM, Nate Wade said:

@Ryan RobieI think that’s how we will need to play it as well….

We’ve had some open gyms here in MI — and the offseason rules are pretty stringent — so we’ve been toying with it in 4 man groups — Our kids are really liking forcing left haha. The ones who do that alone are winning more pickup games during open gyms — so buy in is getting there. 

Also—My coaching staff and I went over in detail how to cover on ball screens with our current group and simplified it to aggressively switching everything and maintaining force to the left. It has gone over well in our workouts. 

I don’t know if you guys saw that in November there will be a big ‘update’ from @Tyler Costonon the LL — I’m pumped that I’ll be gearing up for season and get to dive in. 

@Nate WadeAny specifics on how your team is switching? Will you change that coverage at all depending on where the ball is on the floor?

@Ryan RobieIs the ? on lockleft. Glad to see he’s in here keeping us all straight on what to do!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Statistics

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags