Home Forums Topics Systems & Strategies Halftime re-warmup

Halftime re-warmup

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

We’re starting 3rd qtrs poorly, turnovers up, VPS down (1.3 to .9!). Part of this drop-off is that I’m playing a short rotation, but a good measure is how we come out.

We get 10mn at the half. We meet for about 7, then have 3 or so on court.

can anyone suggest a good re-warmup routine? Something we can do to come out better after half time (and “shut up, coach-don’t talk so much” is a perfectly acceptable suggestion)?

going into playoffs and can’t drop possessions getting the engine restarted.

thx!

Anonymous
    Inactive

@Nelson HandelI had a similar problem one year. I gave them a bit longer on ct and made it competitive, even 5v5 for 2 minutes was better than anything else by far.

What I found was they came back mentally ready, game mode fully switched on, thinking about both offense & defense. I think they just needed that helping changing mental gears. It made a huge difference for us. 

I’m sure there are far savvier & more knowledgeable coaches who can offer more, but it worked wonders for us and I’ve used it with every team since (pre-game too). I’ll be interested to see what sage advice you receive! 

Anonymous
    Inactive

we also do 3v3 cutthroat as the end of our warm-up. was worried about burn out, but may try it.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    On 5/31/2021 at 1:12 AM, Nelson Handel said:

we also do 3v3 cutthroat as the end of our warm-up. was worried about burn out, but may try it.

My guys love it and would not appreciate going back to more ‘traditional’ style warm ups. They are really psyched for the game, get to bleed out that nervous energy & are settled, ready to go in the game, switched on mentally & physically. 

Anonymous
    Inactive

we tried it last game with good success. Had our best 3rd, but against a weak team. 2nd round playoff tomorrow night. that will be a good gauge.  thanks!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Like this thread and reflection Nelson. I have had much better starts to games since moving away from 2 line lay ups and FTs as apart of pre game warm ups. Following your journey!

A

Anonymous
    Inactive

I conclude that we are now starting 2nd halves much better by shortening my talk to 6mn and the team playing 3v3 for 3mn.  We were +5 in the third last night, where our season average is +1. Our defensive stats were stronger too.  In general, we are falling off in the 2nd half, but I attribute that to fatigue. I’m playing a fairly short rotation in most tough games this year.

thanks for the help, everyone. We beat the only team that had beaten us this year quite convincingly last night, and now move on to the semifinal round in City playoffs against the top seed. Should be a good game!

Anonymous
    Inactive

N

Great update! Reminder – Enjoy the time together! 

A

Anonymous
    Inactive

Good stuff here.  What’s 3 v. 3 cut throat?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Sorry, late to the update but FANTASTIC @Nelson Handel!!!! 

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Statistics

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags