Home Forums Topics Systems & Strategies Handling Pressing Teams

Handling Pressing Teams

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I coach a varsity girls basketball team.  We are really struggling against zone pressing teams this year.  I would like to hear what others do to help their teams deal with this.

Anonymous
    Inactive

What type of zone press are you struggling with specifically?

Anonymous
    Inactive

1-2-1-1

Anonymous
    Inactive

We do different pressure passing drills. 

4 v 4 volleyball passing: Using the restricted area of the volleyball lines (service line to 10 foot line and the adjoining sides), have 4 offense and 4 defense. Cannot trap the ball. No dribbles on offense. If you turn it over, player who turned it over must get out and run around perimeter of playing area while 4 defense become offense, and 3 remaining offense become defense till runner joins back up. Hope this makes sense.

4 v 3 10 passes: Playing inside three point line and to the baseline, have 3 offensive players try to complete 10 passes in a row vs 4 defensive players. Defense must trap. Offense has no dribbles. 

Ultimate basketball: Can play 3 v 3, 4 v 4, 5 v 5. Start however you like (have players run around inside 3 pt line is one way, another is tip drill) once a team gets possession they are to play offense with no dribble, defense cannot trap. Only dribble allowed is in their paint trying to score. Encourage diagonal cuts, meeting passes, positive passes (passes ahead, not neutral or negative), short snappy passes as opposed to long passes. 

In all these drills, we encourage passes below the head of the receiver. 

Hope this helps in some way! Good luck! 

Anonymous
    Inactive

Great Ideas.  Thank you Coach!

Anonymous
    Inactive

@Tony Brown I heard this response on a podcast last week “In the middle”. A coach was asking another coach a similar question as you on how to break a press and the coach simply responded by saying “in the middle”. Pass the ball to the middle and move up the court with a safety net behind you. 

Anonymous
    Inactive

@Tony Brown do you have a really good ball-handler? 

Anonymous
    Inactive

The middle is great unless they take it away and give you the sidelines. 

Peeking up the court and utilizing drills to force them to read the defenders up the court have been critical to break pressure without a dominant ball handler. Proper spacing is the big variable for us, when we have it we are good, when we don’t we are in trouble. 

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have a decent ball handler.  

Thanks for the help Coaches.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    On 1/21/2020 at 1:48 AM, Trent Lankford said:

We do different pressure passing drills. 

4 v 4 volleyball passing: Using the restricted area of the volleyball lines (service line to 10 foot line and the adjoining sides), have 4 offense and 4 defense. Cannot trap the ball. No dribbles on offense. If you turn it over, player who turned it over must get out and run around perimeter of playing area while 4 defense become offense, and 3 remaining offense become defense till runner joins back up. Hope this makes sense.

4 v 3 10 passes: Playing inside three point line and to the baseline, have 3 offensive players try to complete 10 passes in a row vs 4 defensive players. Defense must trap. Offense has no dribbles. 

Ultimate basketball: Can play 3 v 3, 4 v 4, 5 v 5. Start however you like (have players run around inside 3 pt line is one way, another is tip drill) once a team gets possession they are to play offense with no dribble, defense cannot trap. Only dribble allowed is in their paint trying to score. Encourage diagonal cuts, meeting passes, positive passes (passes ahead, not neutral or negative), short snappy passes as opposed to long passes. 

In all these drills, we encourage passes below the head of the receiver. 

Hope this helps in some way! Good luck! 

When you play 4 v 4 volleyball do you score it?  What do you score in it?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yes, in different ways.  You can play for time (i.e., 2 minutes-who has the most completed passes) or you can play for passes.  Violations: statue of liberty with the ball, weak passes, above head height passes, not powerful with the ball or any other thing you want to identify and fix.  Of course, we don’t call every violation each time we do it.  

Anonymous
    Inactive

@Tony Brown what type of press break system do you use against the 1-2-1-1?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Run 4 across and also the Read and React Press Break. 

Anonymous
    Inactive

@Tony BrownI have had a lot of success breaking the 1-2-1-1 press with a 4 across press return  set-up. I have only had a few years coaching girls that I had more then one point guard or teams that could really get through a press without much help or guidance. I exclusively use the 4 across set-up with my girls against a 1-2-1-1, just because we can form the habits of where we are cutting and the reads of the defenders for each area we catch the ball. I found it helps to some what make the defense movements predictable for the girls. Plus it really limits confusion of what we are trying to do press break wise and limits the I forgot moment and the more common I hesitated moment. Might try to use just one version or the other to help your girls. 

Anonymous
    Inactive

We also run 4 across to set up.  When it works, often teams will try to man up and we will then clear everyone out.  

Coach Chris

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Statistics

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags