Home Forums Welcome Introduce yourself Hello from Missouri!

Hello from Missouri!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hello and good afternoon to everyone in the Key5 coaching community. I am so honored and blessed to be a part of such a great group of coaches. 

My name is Nicholas Stevens, I live in Columbia, MO and I am currently the head coach of the boys JV and varsity basketball programs at Christian Fellowship School. I am currently in my 3rd season here at CFS and are sitting at 14-5 on the season. My first year we were 10-14 and my second year we were 11-14. We were improving each year but it was not until I attended a PGC course this past summer that I realized I needed to update my thinking. Long story short, we went from scoring 54.5 PPG to this year scoring 76.4 PPG. We also implemented the Lock Left defense and it is a work in progress but excited about continuing to develop it. Anyways, looking forward to continuing to grow and develop as a coach.

Thank you,

Nick

•  

Anonymous
    Inactive

Welcome Nick!  Great to hear that you were open to updating your thinking.  Equally wonderful is hearing the impact PGC has had on you and hearing the outcomes of applying what you have learned.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Nick.  Glad you are here!  Can you go into more detail about how your offensive thinking changed and specifically what you did to increase your scoring.  My team is on a similar track.  This is my first year and we are on pace to win about 11 games with an average PPG of about 53.  Going forward, I know we are going to have to make a big leap offensively.  Any advice you could share would be great.  Thanks, and congrats on a nice season so far!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Nick,

Thanks for posting and introducing yourself in here. Welcome and excited to hear about your growth this year. That’s an incredible 22ppg increase in scoring.

Let’s keep getting better!

Grow the game,

Sam

Anonymous
    Inactive

Apologize for not checking back in to here in a few days. Been preparing for a big game with a rival tonight. Trying to get that #1 seed for our state playoffs and go to the nationals tournament in Dayton, TN. What changed with my offensive thinking is the way I went about applying our offense. I used to think we had to run our offense each time down with a minimum number of passes before we scored. I don’t have the tallest team (only 2 players over 6 foot, 6’1 & 6’3) so I thought that would help us compete better by playing a ball control style offense. The team I have now is extremely fast, so I am using that. My PG is a sprinter who runs the 100 m in 11 sec. or something like that. I decided to use our team speed and went with a run and gun style (think Loyola-Maramount in 1990). Was used to having taller players while in Texas. Kind of like a square peg in a round hole. I heard the term RACE CAR and SCHAPE at PGC and really took it to heart. We full court press the entire game. If we are playing defense in the half court, we are in Lock Left. We are averaging about 14 steals per game and we do a great job of sharing the basketball with about 19 assists per game. Our turnovers are a little higher than I would like but we get up around 80 plus shots per game. The boys are having fun and they are playing better. 

Anonymous
    Inactive

Nick! CoMo people unite! I’m over at Gentry Middle School!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Nick, thanks for posting a little about you and your season.  We look forward to getting to know you and hopefully get to come across you in a live learning and hear how you increased your scoring by 22 ppg, impressive!

Chris

Anonymous
    Inactive

Welcome Coach. We look forward to hearing more about your journey. I know exactly what you are talking about when you say PGC helped you revise your thinking. The PGC program has impacted more coaches and kids than they can imagine. I am excited to learn from you and hear about you continued improvement. 

Anonymous
    Inactive
    On 2/3/2020 at 12:36 PM, Dustin Jeffries said:

Awesome, great to see other coaches from CoMo on here. 

Anonymous
    Inactive
    52 minutes ago, Lenny Krebs said:

Welcome Coach. We look forward to hearing more about your journey. I know exactly what you are talking about when you say PGC helped you revise your thinking. The PGC program has impacted more coaches and kids than they can imagine. I am excited to learn from you and hear about you continued improvement. 

On 1/29/2020 at 9:48 PM, Anthony Paradise said:

Hi Nick.  Glad you are here!  Can you go into more detail about how your offensive thinking changed and specifically what you did to increase your scoring.  My team is on a similar track.  This is my first year and we are on pace to win about 11 games with an average PPG of about 53.  Going forward, I know we are going to have to make a big leap offensively.  Any advice you could share would be great.  Thanks, and congrats on a nice season so far!

My inspiration for this style of offense came from the Loyola-Marymount team of the early 90’s. We full court pressed the entire game, or until we were up by 30 points. We average nearly 19 assists and 14 steals per game. My advice though would be to build a system that fits your players. I don’t have the luxury of having height on my boys basketball team. Our biggest athlete is 6’2”. The majority of our athletes are under 6’0”. We used our team speed to wear out bigger opponents. Our goal was to get up 80-85 shots per game. Let me know if you have any other questions. 

Anonymous
    Inactive
    On 2/3/2020 at 12:36 PM, Dustin Jeffries said:

Left you a message on another post.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Statistics

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags