Home Forums Topics Systems & Strategies IDEAS FOR A PLAYER WHO IS FACE GUARDED AGAINST A MAN DEFENSE?

IDEAS FOR A PLAYER WHO IS FACE GUARDED AGAINST A MAN DEFENSE?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I have an athlete who will get face guarded against certain teams. The opposing team plays man to man defense but picks our one athlete to constantly make it hard for her to touch the ball. I am looking for suggestions on what to tell her specifically that she can do when she is face guarded. 

Our starting 5 are all talented athletes (can all shoot 3s and take to it the basket as well) and all of them can score so we typically don’t see a box & 1 anymore but other teams will still stick to this specific player. So, what I am especially looking for is individual little things that this athlete, who is face guarded, can do to still be a scoring threat. 

Team ideas on this problem are also welcome. 

Thx – tonya

Anonymous
    Inactive

Tonya,

Great question. My initial thought goes to using the player that is being face guarded as a screener for your other players especially if they are capable scorers. A lot of times players are hesitant to help both in on ball and off ball screening actions when they are face guarding a player. Might not open things up for them to score initially, but should eventually if your other players continue to have success. 

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks Kristen!! Definitely a great idea!

Anonymous
    Inactive

If you’re not familiar with Rick Torbett’s instructional videos, invest in ‘Scoring without the ball’ for this player. He’s a tremendous teacher of The game, and from a few minutes of watching that , that player will have immediately implementable strategies for getting open to score (not just getting open for the sake of getting open). I agree with what Kristen said, and learned from Coach Torbett that the best way to get yourself open is to set someone ELSE a  screen (usually off the ball). Good luck, coach! let us know how you do! 

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks Kelli! I actually have that video but had forgotten about it! I will go back and watch it and have my player watch it. 

THANKS!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Not sure what you’re running @Tonya Schissler, but it sounds like you have access to the R&R library. @TJ Rosene has a 4 out 1 in offensive twist he calls “shooter” which is in the vault.  Basically sets your closely guarded player at the HP setting back screen for cutters, then popping to the point spot when they can for catch and shoot tres. As @Kristen Rogerssuggested, if the D won’t leave her alone, they they won’t switch off her screens, leaving open cutters to score. 

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Statistics

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags