Home Forums Topics Player Development IQ Training

IQ Training

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hey y’all, 

So we had one beautiful week of practice before the state shut down all organized sports for 3-weeks here in Michigan. The only way we can meet with our teams is with virtual contact as required by our HS Athletic Association – so I am taking the time to train up the girls of knowing the game and seeing the game from different aspects as well as culture building for sure.

Here is my question – what are some in-game scenarios that you believe are important for players to think through and mentally approach? For example: we LOVE to just chuck when we are up 7 with 3 minutes to go. This is something I am trying to gt the girls to understand may not be the best option. I am just looking for some Ideas to help train their IQ or looking for specific in-game situations that would be beneficial to think through together. Thanks in advance! 

@Nelson Handel @Nate Wade @Adrian Mills @Kristen Rogers 

Anonymous
    Inactive

Reyna,

Not sure how much access to film you have from last season. Could also use games from other teams as well if you needed to. My initial thought would be to go through some scenarios that your players actually experienced. Maybe split the teams into groups and have them watch the sequence you are looking at. Maybe last two minutes of a game you were down and talk through each possession, what they should be thinking about and looking to get out of possessions, time, score, time outs, fouls, possession arrow, etc. Then have them talk the team through it on one of your zoom calls and you and their teammates can assist with additional insight if needed. Couple other scenarios that may be beneficial: end of quarters, having fouls to give, up 3 or down 3 late, stopping a run, etc.

When you get back to practicing on court, we’ve done a 5 minute scrimmage where at some point late in the scimmage, we turn off the clock and have each team write as much as they can remember down:

• Time on the clock
    • Time on the shot clock
    • Score for both teams
    • Foul count for both teams
    • Time outs remaining
    • Possession arrow

It’s been helpful to see which players are thinking the game and not just playing. And also creates room for us to discuss these things. 

Would love to hear about what you came up with!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Reyna,

Just some thoughts.

Not just 2mins to go up 6 or down 8.

• Short time frames like – 

How about down 3 with 3 secs to go, going to FT line to shoot 2 FT. 

• Longer Time frames – 

Team opens game on 8-0 run how do you slow their tempo/run without a TO?

• Experience it in practice – make the quality of the shot not the outcome the important thing in practice.

When you get back to practice start any scrimmage whether its 3/3 or 4/4 or 5/5 with a situation. Down 3 need a quick score, or Start with FT up 3 make it and we go to a 2 possession game. 

Great question Reyna.

Adrian

Anonymous
    Inactive

Love @Adrian Mills response. And up 7 with 3 minutes to go is an almost automatic timeout for me (wasted) just to settle my boys, have them look at the clock, tell them time is on our team, and we will have NO shots other than uncontested layups in the first 25 seconds of the clock and only 7s 8s and 9s thereafter. Hate doing it, but I coach professional knuckleheads (high schoolers).

more soberly, I don’t do enough of situational training in practice, and this thread is a good reminder.

.N

Anonymous
    Inactive

@Reyna Luplow man… can’t BELIEVE I missed out on the initial wave here… that’s what happens when you feel sorry for yourself and don’t take everything as an opportunity–good reminder ?

I’ll try to add some value here.

In addition to the “situational” stuff you mentioned (which I consider to be more X/O stuff) have you thought about bringing in the habitual things and almost running your own homemade PGC camp?… 

I’m talking culture things, NITE, huPPPPy (and POOP of course), Racetrack, 2 foot finishes, positive leadership, shot selection, 7 points of pestitude… all of it.

I’m getting that feeling it’s a virtual world for a bit. I’m already in the process of creating my own modules with my coaching staff, Reyna. I’d be more than willing to/LOVE to have another PGC person in the group to add value. Let me know..

wadeza@sjredwings.org (and twitter–I think we’re follow buddies)

Anonymous
    Inactive
    On 12/1/2020 at 2:08 PM, Nelson Handel said:

Love @Adrian Mills response. And up 7 with 3 minutes to go is an almost automatic timeout for me (wasted) just to settle my boys, have them look at the clock, tell them time is on our team, and we will have NO shots other than uncontested layups in the first 25 seconds of the clock and only 7s 8s and 9s thereafter. Hate doing it, but I coach professional knuckleheads (high schoolers).

more soberly, I don’t do enough of situational training in practice, and this thread is a good reminder.

.N

Nelson – this maybe the year that situational stuff will be more important than ever due to the fluid nature of how the season may play out. 

Anonymous
    Inactive

Good point @Adrian Mills, and one I’ll take to heart. I’m having an ongoing dialog with myself about what most to focus on and in what order given the likelihood of a shortened pre-season (for us and opponents). Do I focus on defense 1st, to shut down under-practiced offenses, and then build O as I go, or visa versa? Focus on situations (as you suggest) or installing something disruptive and new (like Tagging Up)? Begin with lots of stretching and thoughtful conditioning to prevent injuries to players who’ve spent 9 months at their computers, or, to your thought, find controlled playing situations to train them up with?

Unfortunately, the very well-coached magnets on my board are yielding me few answers ?.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Here is another magnet for your coaching board – Habits

Which ones will provide you with the greatest return? mmmm mine will be tag up as a way to finish all SSG to get the habit and turn from Offense to OReb to Def Trans. 

Anonymous
    Inactive

Great conversation @Nelson Handel @Adrian Mills @Reyna Luplow @Nate Wade  @Kristen Rogers

This is what I love about our Key5 Community!

Anonymous
    Inactive
    On 12/2/2020 at 4:06 PM, Nate Wade said:

@Reyna Luplow man… can’t BELIEVE I missed out on the initial wave here… that’s what happens when you feel sorry for yourself and don’t take everything as an opportunity–good reminder ?

I’ll try to add some value here.

In addition to the “situational” stuff you mentioned (which I consider to be more X/O stuff) have you thought about bringing in the habitual things and almost running your own homemade PGC camp?… 

I’m talking culture things, NITE, huPPPPy (and POOP of course), Racetrack, 2 foot finishes, positive leadership, shot selection, 7 points of pestitude… all of it.

I’m getting that feeling it’s a virtual world for a bit. I’m already in the process of creating my own modules with my coaching staff, Reyna. I’d be more than willing to/LOVE to have another PGC person in the group to add value. Let me know..

wadeza@sjredwings.org (and twitter–I think we’re follow buddies)

7 points of Pestitude? 

That’s a new one for me and idbw grateful for enlightenment! 

Thank you! ? 

Anonymous
    Inactive
    On 12/17/2020 at 3:53 PM, Ruth Grant said:

7 points of Pestitude? 

That’s a new one for me and idbw grateful for enlightenment! 

Thank you! ? 

@Ruth Grant …..   Debbie Black Special ?

I have only had the pleasure of attending one live PGC camp (and I was blessed enough to have Chad Songy and Rudy Bentley BOTH be there).

Chad presented this to us, and I’ve taken it straight from my PGC camp notebook and put it here for you. 

1. Be in the Bubble (invade personal space) – be close enough to touch their knee

2. Always Beat the Ball – the goal isn’t always a steal, but it is to rush your man into a turnover

3. Mother Leopard – DUAL AWARENESS—-It’s ALWAYS you vs the OTHER TEAM–not your man

4. Be active off the ball [both mental and physical]—How do you paint the floor per possession?

5. Talk Help – communicate to intimidate——Relevant info (not babble) ——Anticipate the NEXT THING

6. Urgency—-You should play D like $1 milion dollars is on the line every possession

7. Fouls are Errors – ALL FOULS HAVE THE SAME MEANING——1972 downward motion rule–any downward slap is a foul—–Try to get 3 leather touches PER POSSESSION

Anonymous
    Inactive

@Nate Wade thank you very much! I appreciate your time and sharing this. Love it!

I’ve never had the pleasure of attending a PGC clinic – it’s a bit far from Scotland! I’m envious!! ? But I was working on a PGC club clinic (forget what it’s called but it’s tailored for your club) right before the pandemic. 

Thank you again! Stay safe. 

Anonymous
    Inactive

No problem @Ruth Grant — happy to share

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Statistics

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags