Home Forums Topics General K5 Smackdown in LA

K5 Smackdown in LA

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Thought I would mention that, through the gyrations of COVID-forced reshuffling of leagues in LA this year, @Todd S Wright @Tamao Kawaiand I all ended up in the same league, playing each other twice, starting next Sat, when we host Tamao’s Hawkins team. “Of All The Gin Joints In All The Towns In All The World…”  Whodathunkit? It’s a K5 smackdown in Imperial League.

we’ll keep you posted…?

???

Anonymous
    Inactive

Looking forward to updates AND game film from you all!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Game 1 tonight, Bunche ( @Todd S Wright) at Hawkins( @Tamao Kawai). 4pm.

The Battle begins! ?

Anonymous
    Inactive

BTW, we’re taking bets. Send Dogecoin only. 

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hawkins ( @Tamao Kawai) downs Bunche ( @Todd S Wright) in their first match, capitalizing on the COVID truth that Todd got, like, 2 practices ?. It’s on, now!! Bunche will be coming on strong in the rematch next week. Stay tuned!

Meanwhile, Hawkins rides their victory into the Larchmont (me) home court today for a martial arts throwdown at The Budokan!!! (our home court is in Little Tokyo ?). Larchmont is riding a two game winning streak, including a victory over a non-conference team 3 divisions above us.

Will the high-flying Hawks take the Timberwolves pack down a peg? Tune in to find out!! Game streams LIVE, Sat 5/15 at 2pm Pacific, and you can watch it HERE!!

(Are we having fun yet??) ?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Well, for those of you following this little space opera, Larchmont stood firm against a rough and tumble Hawkins team to pull out a victory, 49-34. Game was much closer than score indicates, tight through 3/4s before the TWolves  broke it open with a good run in the 4th. Both teams playing the Lock Left! The floor was much dirtier on that side after the game ?. We’re sending the cleaning bill to @Tyler Coston.

Good coaching on both sides.

Next up in our little round robin — Larchmont visits Bunche next Thursday. Stay tuned for updates. Same Bat time, same Bat channel.?<POW!>

Anonymous
    Inactive

Larchmont topped a rebuilding Bunche team today 76-38. @Todd S Wrightis doing great stuff giving these kids a season this year, one of only three charters in all of LA Section (140 schools total) putting on a basketball season. Bunche is a little oasis of safety and sanity in a really rough section of industrial LA, and we were honored to be hosted there. Our bench got lots of good developmental minutes, and the boys had some fun..

@Tamao Kawaiand his very scrappy Hawks await us this week. Details to come.

Anonymous
    Inactive

@Nelson Handel it has been 9 days since yours last post.  I am a basketball junkie, you can’t leave me hanging. 

Anonymous
    Inactive

ha. Wasn’t sure anyone was paying attention ?

I wish i could say the drama of the season lived up to the hype I gave it. The pandemic threw a big hit on academic achievement in CA this year. Tamao and Todd are both doing a great job with many of their players unable to qualify this year. They are both rebuilding programs, with great culture and buy-in.

I got lucky with a solid core of six returning players, and four newer players working hard to catch up. We finished the season this week with wins against both programs (and our other league member, Harbor Teachers), completing our season as undefeated Imperial League champs (6-0), and 7-1 on the season. We now go into LA City playoffs likely as one of the top 2 seeds in Division 4 (seeding announced tomorrow).

Todd’s team will also get a playoff game in D4, while Tamao will make a run in D3.

It was great playing against K5 coaches, all the programs full of spirit and playing the game the right way. I’m sure wet ave more competitive matches ahead in our (non-covid influenced) futures.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Oh, believe me I am paying attention.

I am glad  to hear that you all are playing., Man, it’s the end of the school year and you all are playing your winter sports season.

Tell me more about the lock ? ⬅️ death match.  Did both of you play it as a man or did he play match up zone? What was your counter attack?

Good luck this week.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Great question, Stevie. And @Tamao Kawaishould ring in from his perspective, as this recap will certainly be from mine.

I haven’t yet dug into the film deeply, but T and I chatted after the game. He’s installing it as a 3-2 match up, while we run it M2M. His implementation was much more developed in our 2nd game, but overall, ours is more firmly established. 

It was  a very low scoring 1st quarter (8-6), as my boys took the candy and drove into the left side of his wall too often for my taste, turning it over 5x. We were definitely having trouble reading it at first. We forced about the same number of TOs, tho, to keep the game even. We shot about 29% from the field, but held them to 23%.

in the second, we countered with our “Odd Man In” zone attack, which we use against odd front zones, with an emphasis on ball movement. That brought our turnovers down, and more importantly, seemed to open up seams in the zone we were able to exploit. We went on 15-5 tear to break the game open, and doubled them up in the third 12-6.  Better offensive execution seemed to put us in better ORB position as well, and we scooped up almost 80% of available ORBS over that span. Altogether, we out-boarded them 25-13 over those 2 qtrs. (This was strategy, as they killed us on the boards in our 1st match, with their very tough center scooping up 15 against us. We assigned our 4s to erase him, clearing the way for our other bigs and a 2 guard to dominate the boards)

by then, we were in control of the game, and I got a lot of minutes for my developing bench in the late 3rd and 4th.

I will say that neither team shot the ball particularly well (34-29 efg%), and it was a low scoring affair (43-34, about 10 pts below our season average). Part of that for us was my bench minutes (they outscored us 17-8 in the 4th), and part was our poor 3pt shooting (3-16 through three Qs). The latter I credit to thier D, as we are sub-par when catching and shooting east-west. We are far better on inside-out shots, and their zone did limit our paint touches a bit. 

If I have to assess based on this experience, I will say that while the match up implementation is more difficult to read (we had several points where we thought they switched to a 2-3), our ball and player movement seemed to create a lot of decisions for it to solve. Perhaps with more experience, the Hawks could have solved what we threw at them, but to my eye, our M2M implementation was simpler and stronger. We’re able to continually build a strong wall with different players rotating into deny position as their checks move, which creates its own form of chaos. I also like the autonomy it gives players to be aggressive on switches.  While there is something to be said for “putting players in positions of strength” on D, there’s also a strong argument for the confidence that comes from guarding all over the floor. At several points, my 6’5” lanky center was out high guarding ball, b/c their center was bringing it up.  When I asked them to switch coverage to keep him closer to the rim, he said, “l think I’m doing a really good job on him coach.” And I had to agree.  Though I still want him closer to the rim, I think his confidence to step out there when needed makes us stronger. I don’t coach zones in general b/c I think they breed passive defenders, and I like rabid dogs :-).

ok, too long by half, but I appreciate the opportunity to think this through on a Sunday morning in bed. Hope it didn’t bore you. Would love to hear Tamao’s converse perspective.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    4 hours ago, Stevie Jones said:

Oh, believe me I am paying attention.

I am glad  to hear that you all are playing., Man, it’s the end of the school year and you all are playing your winter sports season.

Tell me more about the lock ? ⬅️ death match.  Did both of you play it as a man or did he play match up zone? What was your counter attack?

Good luck this week.

Btw, we’re going into playoffs on top of finals, AP tests, capstone projects, and graduation week. Not recommended for future consideration ?

Anonymous
    Inactive

2020/2021 wouldn’t have it any other way.?

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’ve really enjoyed this! Was looking forward to more video!!! Gotta share the playoffs! 

Well done to all of you guys. You & your teams will remember this crazy season in many years to come. 

Anonymous
    Inactive

@Nelson HandelI keep coming back for updates but there are none. What happened in the playoffs?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Statistics

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags