Home Forums Topics Player Development Off Ball Movement

Off Ball Movement

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Ruth Grant

I’d be really grateful if any if you could please share any drills (especially competitive ones) which develops off ball movement. 

The younger teams are struggling and the older ones could definitely be improved! 

Thank you very much!!! 

Joe Gonzalez

hi ruth,

do you run Read & React? we simply play half-court 4v4 with no dribbles. i usually give the offense 5 possessions to score (1 shot + rebound putback), then we switch offense to defense. Whoever scores more wins. We validate the win with a FT. loser has a quick consequence. 

if you don’t run RnR, then you can do the same thing with your offense. Just play a scrimmage with NO DRIBBLES. you can even do it full-court to work on your press break. 

if you don’t move off the ball, there isn’t going to be much offense!

just my two cents. 

Ruth Grant
    On 11/24/2020 at 9:41 PM, Joe Gonzalez said:

hi ruth,

do you run Read & React? we simply play half-court 4v4 with no dribbles. i usually give the offense 5 possessions to score (1 shot + rebound putback), then we switch offense to defense. Whoever scores more wins. We validate the win with a FT. loser has a quick consequence. 

if you don’t run RnR, then you can do the same thing with your offense. Just play a scrimmage with NO DRIBBLES. you can even do it full-court to work on your press break. 

if you don’t move off the ball, there isn’t going to be much offense!

just my two cents. 

Thank you, Joe! That’s exactly what I’ve been doing but I’m finding that once the dribble goes back in, off ball movement flags again. So I’ve tried limiting the dribbles as well, which helps but still not fantastic off ball movement. 

I have been running the Motion but because we have so much time this year (if we have a season, it will be after Easter), I’m starting to implement the Read & React. I do think that will help but we still need good off ball movement! 

I appreciate your help!! 

Hi @Ruth Grant! Can you define what kind of “off-ball movement” you’re looking for? Filling perimeter spots? finding passing windows on drives? Weakside basket cuts?

If you are putting in the R&R, a lot of off-ball movement takes care of itself. The most challenging R&R training, especially for youngers, is circle movement, which, to be frank, you will likely only get spottily at younger ages anyway (low ROI below u17).

I’ve adapted a PGC 3v3 game to teach circle movement, using Chris Oliver’s “push/pull” language. It does the best job I’ve found to train the concept of perimeter rotation on basket drives. As with all games-based teaching, I recommend you teach the basic game, let them play, then introduce the teaching concepts in whatever order you wish as you “load” the game. (my preference: peek, push/pull, POOP, greedy receiver, Curry Cuts, Ginobilis, shooting footwork).

Hope this helps!  

.N

3v3 Kickout (CM variation)

RULES

1. Begin with whatever 3v3 cutthroat form you prefer (I use 3v3 Closeout from the baseline to add passing and closeouts to every possession). Make sure you have the next team ready on the baseline to sprint in to D on a turnover or make. Make it/take it.
    2. You can only score with two feet in the paint or with a 3-pt shot.
    3. You may not pass to someone in No Man’s Land (inside arc, outside paint)
    4. You may not dribble east/west on perimeter
    5. To begin possession, live ball receiver must drive or shoot (no initial pass)
    6. 1 shot per possession (on ORB, can allow a 1-dribble putback or kickout to immediate shot (no dribble), if you wish).

TEACHING POINTS

1. When the ball drives AWAY from you, it PULLS you one perimeter spot towards it.
    2. When the ball drives TOWARD you, it PUSHES you one perimeter spot away from it.
    3. Push or Pull with greedy fingers, ready to catch and shoot
    4. catch with one-foot move or airborne receiver to be ready to shoot.
    5. peek on catch
    6. If you drive the paint and don’t have an advantage, kick out (teach “Ginobili” hook passes)
    7. If you drive the paint and get stopped, POOP (pivot and pass out of pressure)(safety valve)
    8. If you kick out from paint, sprint out to perimeter, ready to shoot (Curry Cut).

FOULS (coach with the whistle; fouls are turnovers)

1. Failure to Move (push or pull)
    2. Failure to POOP
    3. Failure to demonstrate control (shooting off one foot in the paint)
    4. Failure to Peek
    5. Pass to NMLand
    Joe Gonzalez

love it @Nelson Handel
    that is the last drill/game we play in our warmup before games!

19 hours ago, Joe Gonzalez said:

love it @Nelson Handel
    that is the last drill/game we play in our warmup before games!

Yes, @Joe Gonzalez. After I posted it, I saw your response in the pre-game warm-up thread. ? Combined, the threads demonstrate how we can use the same 3v3 short-sided games to teach different concepts and skills, just by tweaking the rules and POEs.

Ruth Grant
    On 11/29/2020 at 7:13 PM, Nelson Handel said:

Hi @Ruth Grant! Can you define what kind of “off-ball movement” you’re looking for? Filling perimeter spots? finding passing windows on drives? Weakside basket cuts?

If you are putting in the R&R, a lot of off-ball movement takes care of itself. The most challenging R&R training, especially for youngers, is circle movement, which, to be frank, you will likely only get spottily at younger ages anyway (low ROI below u17).

I’ve adapted a PGC 3v3 game to teach circle movement, using Chris Oliver’s “push/pull” language. It does the best job I’ve found to train the concept of perimeter rotation on basket drives. As with all games-based teaching, I recommend you teach the basic game, let them play, then introduce the teaching concepts in whatever order you wish as you “load” the game. (my preference: peek, push/pull, POOP, greedy receiver, Curry Cuts, Ginobilis, shooting footwork).

Hope this helps!  

.N

3v3 Kickout (CM variation)

RULES

1. Begin with whatever 3v3 cutthroat form you prefer (I use 3v3 Closeout from the baseline to add passing and closeouts to every possession). Make sure you have the next team ready on the baseline to sprint in to D on a turnover or make. Make it/take it.
    2. You can only score with two feet in the paint or with a 3-pt shot.
    3. You may not pass to someone in No Man’s Land (inside arc, outside paint)
    4. You may not dribble east/west on perimeter
    5. To begin possession, live ball receiver must drive or shoot (no initial pass)
    6. 1 shot per possession (on ORB, can allow a 1-dribble putback or kickout to immediate shot (no dribble), if you wish).

TEACHING POINTS

1. When the ball drives AWAY from you, it PULLS you one perimeter spot towards it.
    2. When the ball drives TOWARD you, it PUSHES you one perimeter spot away from it.
    3. Push or Pull with greedy fingers, ready to catch and shoot
    4. catch with one-foot move or airborne receiver to be ready to shoot.
    5. peek on catch
    6. If you drive the paint and don’t have an advantage, kick out (teach “Ginobili” hook passes)
    7. If you drive the paint and get stopped, POOP (pivot and pass out of pressure)(safety valve)
    8. If you kick out from paint, sprint out to perimeter, ready to shoot (Curry Cut).

FOULS (coach with the whistle; fouls are turnovers)

1. Failure to Move (push or pull)
    2. Failure to POOP
    3. Failure to demonstrate control (shooting off one foot in the paint)
    4. Failure to Peek
    5. Pass to NMLand

Thank you so very much!!! This is fantastic. I appreciate the time you took for such a detailed reply. 

What really motivated me to install the R&R is the fact that off ball movement, as you say, takes care of itself & it removes the ‘thinking’. We’re particularly struggling with movement on the perimeter. It also, I think, then better enables you to build those positive habits (such as those in your game) which can otherwise slip. 

This is the 1st time I’m actually installing the R&R, so always grateful to learn from more experienced coaches who run it and for references to resources, whether it be to improve my skills and knowledge or drills and anything & everything in between! ? There’s no such thing as too much good information. 

Joining Key5 has to be the best decision I’ve made – I’ve gone from being isolated and feeling the odd one out for embracing the culture that is the norm here to feeling supported, enabled and empowered to keep improving. All the folk who kindly reply to my frequent posts (I do apologise if they are rather basic) have so kindly contributed to that. I can’t tell you how much I appreciate you all. 

Thank you again!!! 

simple solution, @Ruth Grant. Cure the virus, fly me to Scotland, feed me (no haggis, please, a wee dram of a good Islay malt will be fine), and I’ll install the offense for you at no charge ?.

Ruth Grant

Now, @Nelson Handel, that’s a deal worth it’s weight in gold! Too bad there are travel restrictions in place as we could perhaps skip step 1….

Kudos knowing what Haggis is! Never has it passed my lips but, then again, we’re vegan. There are veggie versions which I’m told tastes like spicy stuffing. I guess every culture has a type of food driven by poverty or at the very least th need not to waste a precious resource. 

Ironically, haggis is derived from the very animal that caused so many Scots to be cleared from the land in order to make room for large free ranging herds of sheep. Tenant farmers were moved to extremely marginal lands, many starving (many reduced to collecting kelp) or emigrated to Canada or Australia (emigration to the USA dropped markedly after the Revolutionary Wars when Scots sent to the USA, because their allegiance to the Hanoverians was suspect, fought for the British). 

Seriously, though, best resource for R&R drills? Just checked online & the club isn’t flush enough right now to spring for Better Basketball’s dvd collection. 

Thank you! ? 

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Statistics

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags