Home Forums Topics Systems & Strategies Pre Game Help

Pre Game Help

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hey Coaches!

I am looking for some ideas on how to develop a pre game warm up.  Any ideas on drills to bring some energy?  What about mentally preparing our athletes for the game?  My previous coach was more basic with two lay up lines, some shooting, and a little bit of 1 v 1 dribbling half speed.  I am looking for something that will help excite our players and get them in the right state of mind for our game.

Thanks!!

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m a massive believer in including competitive elements in your pre-game warm up. Layup lines and anything on air isn’t going to prepare them for the mental & physical pressures of the game. 

We have very limited warm up time on court so my guys get basic muscular warm up and stretching done in whatever space we can grab elsewhere. 

Not ideal, but it means once we hit the court we are right into SSGs, finishing with a half ct 5v5 (starters vs bench). We’ll include a run through various plays & basic strategy that they need to be aware of for that particular game. Rarely is the other team scouting us during warm up so I’m not too concerned about that but it’s something to be aware of if you have better opposition coaches than I do! But even limiting the final 5v5 to your basic offense is better than no competitive play. 

I started this a few tears ago with a very slow starting team. What a huge difference it made: they are excited, in a competitive mindset and in a game mentality from tip off. That change in one be team sold me and no matter what any team has been like since, it has only made them better starters – even those substituted in later in the game. 

The players absolutely love it as well, which helps! And they play hard in warm up. I also find that it helps settle nerves, as well as bleed off excess adrenaline. 

Hope this is useful. 

Anonymous
    Inactive

We do one minute each of the Read n React warm up drill (pass n cut front cut, rear cut, logo shots, dribble at, readline)
    then we progress to a 3-point shooting drill to mimic our 2-side fast break

and we finish by playing the pgc 3-on-3-Attack game, where you can only score off two-feet in the paint or off a 3.

the kids enjoy the 3-on-3 prior to the game – it seems to get them acclimated to the action of what is about to happen. 

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks so much for the feedback! This gives me some ideas on where to start.  I have always thought lay up lines did not help our teams in the past.  I am thankful for the help and advice!  Thanks again!

Anonymous
    Inactive

@morckeljoshua@lakelocal.org 

Someone either posted this on here, or a Twitter account I found.. so I can’t give the correct credit (I just can’t remember)… but I think I saw it on the old Better Basketball YouTube channel. 5 Min layer 1 warm up

I do love the idea of adding a competitive element to it, though.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Great question, Key5’s Sam Allen had a Live Learning about this very topic and think you would find great value in it.

Here is the link to access the video, please let us know your thoughts after viewing it.  

Maximizing Pregame Warmups

https://vimeo.com/368189355/8a35287945

Any questions, please just let us know.  

Chris 

Key5 Coaching

Anonymous
    Inactive
    On 11/5/2020 at 1:54 AM, Nate Wade said:

@morckeljoshua@lakelocal.org 

Someone either posted this on here, or a Twitter account I found.. so I can’t give the correct credit (I just can’t remember)… but I think I saw it on the old Better Basketball YouTube channel. 5 Min layer 1 warm up

I do love the idea of adding a competitive element to it, though.

Many thanks for this! We used it today but set them the challenge that we’re charting our makes with the goal to get 60 made layups & 40 made jump shots in the time allotment. They loved it. 

I like it because it incorporates so much more than shooting – closeouts, cuts, passing. So thank you! ? 

Anonymous
    Inactive

Great stuff!  I am definitely looking at adding some of these elements.   I am trying to find some competitive drills to do too… I know someone mentioned 3 v 3 coming off two feet, but I am not sure what that is… Thanks again!

Anonymous
    Inactive

For teams that run a motion offense, we’ve used the shooting drill below to work on different reads. It creates a lot of movement and a lot of shots for us. We have a coach or manager, act as a defender on both sides so that we can work on screening a body as well as providing the offensive player their read. We go for 5 minutes with the additional minute being used as an opportunity for the player to make the read based on what the defender does.

http://www.fastmodelsports.com/library/basketball/fastdraw/139182/play-4-Corner-Shooting-WPD-

Anonymous
    Inactive
    On 11/13/2020 at 10:30 AM, Chris Storey said:

Great question, Key5’s Sam Allen had a Live Learning about this very topic and think you would find great value in it.

Here is the link to access the video, please let us know your thoughts after viewing it.  

Maximizing Pregame Warmups

https://vimeo.com/368189355/8a35287945

Any questions, please just let us know.  

Chris 

Key5 Coaching

Great stuff here. Thanks for sharing. I’d be curious what thoughts people have on game day shoot arounds? So for example, we typically would have a 1:00 shoot around for a 7:00 game. Any ideas on format and intensity of these sessions? @Sam Allen

Anonymous
    Inactive
    On 11/19/2020 at 2:35 PM, Joshua Morckel said:

Great stuff!  I am definitely looking at adding some of these elements.   I am trying to find some competitive drills to do too… I know someone mentioned 3 v 3 coming off two feet, but I am not sure what that is… Thanks again!

3v3 Scoring off 2 feet in the paint means that the offensive player must have both feet in the paint for the basket to count. ?

Anonymous
    Inactive

3-on-3 Attack is a PGC game.

Your only options are to drive and finish off 2-feet in the paint, or kick out for a 3. 

on the catch, the 3-pont shooter must catch outside the 3-point line, and they must either shoot the open 3 or drive and finish off 2-feet in the paint. 

you get 3 passes total per team per possession. 

you must catch the pass outside the 3-point line. 

if you make the 3 or finish of 2-feet in the paint, then your 3-person team stays on offense and new set of 3 defenders rotates in. 
    if you miss the basket or turn it over, then your team is off. Defense moves to offense and a new 3-person teams enters to play D.

very quick moving. No rebounds. Just a 1-shot game, with a max of 3-passes per possession. 

So on the 3rd pass, the player must know they need to shoot the 3 or shoot the paint shot. 

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks so much coach!  I greatly appreciate it!

Anonymous
    Inactive

@Nelson Handel just posted this breakdown of my 3-on-3 game in another post, so i am reposting it for more clarity:

Thanks nelson!

3v3 Kickout (CM variation)

RULES

1. Begin with whatever 3v3 cutthroat form you prefer (I use 3v3 Closeout from the baseline to add passing and closeouts to every possession). Make sure you have the next team ready on the baseline to sprint in to D on a turnover or make. Make it/take it.
    2. You can only score with two feet in the paint or with a 3-pt shot.
    3. You may not pass to someone in No Man’s Land (inside arc, outside paint)
    4. You may not dribble east/west on perimeter
    5. To begin possession, live ball receiver must drive or shoot (no initial pass)
    6. 1 shot per possession (on ORB, can allow a 1-dribble putback or kickout to immediate shot (no dribble), if you wish).

TEACHING POINTS

1. When the ball drives AWAY from you, it PULLS you one perimeter spot towards it.
    2. When the ball drives TOWARD you, it PUSHES you one perimeter spot away from it.
    3. Push or Pull with greedy fingers, ready to catch and shoot
    4. catch with one-foot move or airborne receiver to be ready to shoot.
    5. peek on catch
    6. If you drive the paint and don’t have an advantage, kick out (teach “Ginobili” hook passes)
    7. If you drive the paint and get stopped, POOP (pivot and pass out of pressure)(safety valve)
    8. If you kick out from paint, sprint out to perimeter, ready to shoot (Curry Cut).

FOULS (coach with the whistle; fouls are turnovers)

1. Failure to Move (push or pull)
    2. Failure to POOP
    3. Failure to demonstrate control (shooting off one foot in the paint)
    4. Failure to Peek
    5. Pass to NMLand
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I LOVE IT!!! Thanks so much for taking the time to share this.  I will definitely be putting this into action. 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Statistics

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags