Home Forums Topics Master Teaching Reads

Reads

• This topic has 8 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 6 months ago by
    Anonymous.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hello and good morning! I’m a JV coach and an asst coach on varsity as well. I want to get better on teaching reads whether it be practice or a one on one session. I took the reads assessment and I’m average. 

I learned reads when I was player watching film and seeing it take place during games so I’m trying to give the kids a better way of learning than I did. 

3 on 3 IMO is prob the best way to learn how to read because You can learn so much from 3 on 3 but what if I don’t have that option? 

thank you for taking the time to read this or even comment 

Anonymous
    Inactive

Where is the “reads assessment”?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Reed,

Great day to be a Hall.

Thanks for sharing. I agree…3v3 is a great way to develop reads for the game. Specifically when you have constraints like 3v3 kickout where you only shoot layups and 3s and you can’t catch inside the arc…it forces players to learn

1- how to beat on-ball defender

2-when to pass to teammate based on off-ball defender’s help

Games like 2v2 Read the D where the off has an advantage and it’s a same sided game where the strong side help defender has to either help or stay home on corner/wing shooter is a good one.

The key is determining what “Reads” you think your players you coach need to learn the most of and then creating practice/training situations to work on that or those reads.

Def reads are important as well…it’s a long conversation and a good one. Thanks for starting it @Reed Hall

Grow the game,

Sam

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thank you @Sam Alleni figured this could be a huge discussion on how other coaches teach it and vice versa. I think at the high school level  there should be more kids watching film. Studying other teams tendencies and their opponents skill set. Especially if you play a team twice maybe even more with summer ball. 

Anonymous
    Inactive

@Reed HallAt the beginning of Tyler’s Master Class in the Lock Left Defense, he shares a fascinating rubric that inverts the traditional teaching model. He posits we should teach Responsibilities, Reads, and then Techniques for accomplishing basketball proficiency. I’ve found it a very useful communications approach. It’s quite consistent with a games-based approach to coaches, in which we create situations, help players identify them, and then breakdown techniques they can employ to do it.  Check it out here

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thank you Nelson 

Anonymous
    Inactive

Good assist @Nelson Handel

Thank the passer!!

@Reed Hall would love to hear any updates when you get a chance

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hey Sam! So my updates are like this. I’ve been watching a lot of DJ sackmann and using his teachings on reads and skill development. Another book I bought I think in early 2020 “Complete guide to motion offense: Implementing the 5 out, 4 out or dribble drive” by Keith Rumjahn. A lot of the breakdown drills will help each position on how to make great reads and also play the position. 

Anonymous
    Inactive

Noticed that you’re also interested in teaching 1v1 reads. For that, Chris Oliver’s Basketball Decision Training (BDT) can’t be beat. Chris’s platform is Here

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Statistics

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags