Home Forums Topics Player Development Return to Play

Return to Play

• This topic has 5 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 9 months ago by
    Anonymous.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

In my endless optimism, I’ve begun to think about a return-to-play strategy. My foremost concern is my player’s sustained lack of physical training and subsequent injury risk. The worst possible outcome I can imagine from all the sacrifice my kids put in would be for them to return out of shape, throw themselves in, and suffer an early injury. And conditioning is not my long suit.

Can anyone share their approach, program, or training strategy for retraining high school kids who have been sitting at their screens for 9 months? Then, secondarily to an optimal retraining period, how would you approach this challenge with a short timeline before the resumption of competitive play (a circumstance I’m anticipating)?

Feel free to be as specific and detailed as you like ? . As I said, not my long suit.

cheers! Appreciate you.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Nelson 

As Chris Oliver says to get in basketball shape we need to play basketball. 

Depends on how long you have from Day 1 of Try-outs to first game. 

Maybe build from 1v1 to 2v2 to 3v3 to 4v4 then 5v5. could be each of them per practice, or have a whole practice dedicated to 1 on 1, Day 2 2 on 2, Day3 3on3 etc. So by Day 5 you are at 5 on 5. This may help reduce the amount of punishment on the body plus chances of injury and increase learning?. Add in a ton of Shooting for Rest and focus on stretching at the end of practice. 

Just some thoughts,

Appreciate you N

Anonymous
    Inactive

Having this convo across 2 threads now, @Adrian Mills. Under normal circumstances, I would heartily agree. A good measure of my approach to the game has been chosen to fortify my weaknesses in this area. I do 95% of my conditioning training through practice design (often focusing early pre-season practices on full-court transitions drills, fatigue shooting, etc.). My concern this year is the extraordinary sedentary behaviors of the last year. Most of my boys are getting out in some way, but certainly to a far lesser degree than they would in normal life. In general, they have tight hamstrings and illiopsoas groups. I’m worried that game situations–even controlled ones–will have them tempted to overexert on physical actions more likely to cause early injury. 

@Lisa O’Mearaor @TJ Rosene, maybe we could have Hayes chime in on this?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Nelson, @Nelson Handel
     Did we talk about this on our phone call or LL/Roundtable?

Nevertheless, some quick thoughts to marinate on.

Create a “fitness challenge” – it could change each week.

-could be part coach-led, part player led or all player-led or all coach-led

I would start now or beginning of January

Week 1:  1 mile run challenge. Run a mile, drop your time or short 30 seconds video into group chat or marco polo with your time and encouraging word for your teammates

Week 2: random player or selected player(s), picks the week 2 challenge – maybe “tabata” home workout challenge with push-ups, sit-ups, squats, rapid fire 15 mins workout…could be done or at designated time on a zoom call

Week 3:  2 mile Basketball dribbling run

*You could create a google spreadsheet and either they track or you enter data in there.

*You could incentivize by sending a $5 gift card to a person each week who was most consistent or had lowest or best times

Within the team, have a few sprinkled leaders who are doing smaller group texts of 3-4 players where there is additional accountability 

I think the biggest win is the 1st step here. I have more thoughts on more specific fitness challenges, activities that would help reduce risk of injury and decrease stagnation at home, but I think first step is just getting them doing something….James clear thought, “You cannon improve or improvise a habit until you establish a habit”

Anonymous
    Inactive

great framework @Sam Allen. I had an open convo with the team this week, and was pleased to find that many (but not all) were working out on their own. I asked them to focus on stretches (ilyasoas and hams). But certainly a team-wide challenge will be inspiring to them. I’ll put this in after the 1st of the year and report here on the results.  thanks!

Anonymous
    Inactive
    On 12/12/2020 at 6:12 PM, Nelson Handel said:

great framework @Sam Allen. I had an open convo with the team this week, and was pleased to find that many (but not all) were working out on their own. I asked them to focus on stretches (ilyasoas and hams). But certainly a team-wide challenge will be inspiring to them. I’ll put this in after the 1st of the year and report here on the results.  thanks!

We did a team wide challenge before we could return to play and had a good response, with players not just posting results but videos of themselves too. Videos were a voluntary component and sparked some good natured ribbing (usually about choice of music) and lots of encouragement. 

When we returned to actual play outdoors, we started Fun Fitness Fridays. One part of this was a run, starting with 1.5k. A number of the older guys started a morning run WhatsApp group with the goal to do work up to 5k daily, then achieve it in 20 minutes. This then grew, as mornings got darker and running on unlit rural roads was less appealing, to encompass a morning workout as well. 

Once we returned to indoors we start every training with a ‘Captains Warm Up’, lead entirely by the boys after discussing what to include. One part is a circuit, with various stations charted. The boys are enjoying it and the leaders are deciding when to vary components, make others more demanding etc.. It has been interesting to see both the physical development and the leadership development as well. Giving them ownership, I think, has elevated their response and engagement. 

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Statistics

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags