Home Forums Topics Player Development SAQ Workout

SAQ Workout

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Hi all,

I have 2-3 weeks to get my team in shape before our season (if we’re lucky enough to have one) I stuck my neck out and committed to a 3-day Conditioning SAQ camp for my team, starting Friday. This is NOT my long suit!!? Any one have a great workout/plyo/core session I can use? I know enough to waddle through, but sure could use some expert guidance.

TIA

snaps

Hey @Nelson Handel, I am familiar little bit with this, but I will ask one of my friends who is an expert and has helped me out with teams. Anything specific you are looking for in these 3 days?

Thanks! (And I hope you have your season)!

Vic

Thx Victoria. Today is day 3 for the camp, and it’s gone well ( thanks to others help). I have identified a need to focus planting and pushing off for quicker changes of direction and speed. Any drills in that area would be very helpful. 

Going off the cuff here a little bit, but some great drills & games I picked up years ago from Alan Stein Jr.  – One of which is ‘circle tag’ where they play 1 on 1 tag around the center circle for 30 seconds or so. 

I’m also going to put a plyo program together for my team this summer, will be sure to send that your way, coach! also YAY for the possibility of a season!!! 

Kelli

Adrian Mills

Nelson

Include games of tag – reduce the space and maybe add a ball here and there. 

I know it’s simple but it gets the job done. Smaller space more opportunity to plant and push.

Hope you get a season.

Adrian

@Nelson Handel awesome! 

One game I love to play is basketball “ultimate”. Usually we do this in warmup as well in season and my teams love it. Divide into teams, and then use a different ball then a basketball (so they can focus on catching on the move and just an extra challenge of catching and having clean catches on the move). I like a nerf football for example. 

Use the rules of ultimate for turnovers (where they drop or fumble the pass it is a TO). So 5 on 5, and no dribbling or dropping the ball. Players are usually stagnant at first. Then, they focus on cutting and getting open, so it is great for planting, changing speed and direction in cuts, changing heights on pivots to pass, etc. Otherwise, they don’t get open. 5 second count for when the ball is in your hands.

Depending on the age group, I’ll award a point for hitting rim, and 2 for a shot. If a more experienced group, they have to hit a shot. Can go to as many points as you’d like. 12 is a good start. On a score, the other team inbounds quickly. 

Works well to improve communication too!

Hope that helps! 

Vic 

@Kelli Josephsenlove these, especuially the tennis balls.  thanks! @Victor Underwoodlove the randomness of this idea. We get so trapped into going up and down the court. this dimensionalizes the space. Love it.

it was a great camp. saw lots of progress over just 3 days, and learned a lot myself. I’m a better coach for having gotten out of my comfort zone. thanks all.

@Nelson Handel Glad to hear it! Always great when we improve as coaches by trying something new!

Ruth Grant

@Kelli Josephsenthat’s a great exercise! We also do it with 2 small circles with a gap between them so players can run in a figure of 8.  Adds a bit more variety and more directional angles to change off of. It’s popular amongst the players too.

We’ve done it with dribbling too, @Adrian Mills and it’s great!

Would love to see more exercises like this if anyone has to share! Thank you! 

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Statistics

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags