Home Forums Topics Systems & Strategies Screening within Read and React?

Screening within Read and React?

• This topic has 5 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 8 months ago by
    Anonymous.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

i was on the live learning with @TJ Rosene regarding Actions v. Sets – Entries into Read and React.

we were talking about how to incorporate more screening actions in to the RnR offense.

TJ suggested we break our offensive possessions into thirds and incorporate the screening action into one of our three favorite actions.

So it got me wondering if anyone is making on-ball and off-ball screening “Actions” as part of their RnR offense versus using them as “Plays”

if so, how are you doing it? 

I am looking to use a little more than just “pass, cut and screen-away”, and still allow it to be a free-flowing decision by the player, rather than the coach calling it each possession.

Something like: if we are in 5-out, any time our 5 catches the ball at the top, he passes and screens away into another set of screening decisions (almost like a 2nd offense).

just wondering what others are doing to incorporate more screening actions into the read and react.

Thanks,

joe

Anonymous
    Inactive

@Joe Gonzalez!!!! 

This is something I’m doing this year–for sure.. but I’m making it specific to the player instead of the position.

So, I’ll tell “JOHN” — John, each time you pass I want you go screen away and then duck into the mid post for a pass or two… make sure you tell your teammates what you’re doing!

Have you thought, too, of making it even more specific in terms of role defining? —-> I’m thinking that if a kid knows when he’s in the 5 out his job is to set as many screens as possible (pin, screen away, back, multiple staggers, etc) get layups/putbacks, and visit the post often but not live there it could potentially such a huge aid to your flow and movement that you may not need to make a new “rule” that is specific to who catches the ball and where–and it wouldn’t be so dependent on the situation.

Just a thought–would love to hear your feedback and ideas as well!

Anonymous
    Inactive

@Joe Gonzalez

Here are some thoughts and ideas for you on the R&R and incorporating different actions

You could say we are in “Blue”…Blue means when you cut, you have to back-screen your way out

“Red” could be pass and screen away…you must screen away on any pass

“Green” is pass/cut

Black is we ball screen every pass, so you have pass & follow into a ball screen

Now, you can advance from there and say

Chris & John are in Black … Mike & Terry are Green….Joe is Red so you customize it to personnel and harder to scout and guard

I have more thoughts but will stop there and let you chew on it 

@Nate Wade please share your thoughts on this also

Anonymous
    Inactive

thanks @Sam Allen

i like your ideas. 

i am going to play around with various options, so i’ll keep you updated!

thanks again. i appreciate all you do.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    On 11/13/2020 at 11:18 AM, Sam Allen said:

@Joe Gonzalez

Here are some thoughts and ideas for you on the R&R and incorporating different actions

You could say we are in “Blue”…Blue means when you cut, you have to back-screen your way out

“Red” could be pass and screen away…you must screen away on any pass

“Green” is pass/cut

Black is we ball screen every pass, so you have pass & follow into a ball screen

Now, you can advance from there and say

Chris & John are in Black … Mike & Terry are Green….Joe is Red so you customize it to personnel and harder to scout and guard

I have more thoughts but will stop there and let you chew on it 

@Nate Wade please share your thoughts on this also

@Sam Allen I like that, a lot. It seems like it is a little more structure than just giving one player a role and going on, but still would allow for creativity. 
    … I really like how you leveled that, though. I like the idea of having it customized to personnel. Where I’m at in the journey I don’t have 5 guys that can just go “straight on R&R” unless all I want them to do is pass/cut….. but I’m worried that if there’s that ‘call’ from me at the team level that’s all the whole team is going to see…. not what comes FROM the action, but the action itself. 

Hopefully this makes sense?

I’d love to hear your thoughts even more on this… after doing my due diligence to chew. I have a feeling your thoughts are a bit more refined than mine ?

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have named specific ‘actions’ that are screens based on what area we are screening and define the action.  Players make the decisions to screen or not, but they must call it out so teammates know its coming.

4 out 1 in

‘Bump’ – slot to slot screen (on/off ball)

‘Rub’ – slot to wing DHO screen

‘Peel’ – wing to slot screen (on/off ball)

‘Scrape’ – slot to wing (on/off ball)

‘2-Man’ – post to wing (on ball P&R)

‘Pin’/’Skip’ – back or flare screen on over helping defender on the backside.

5 out

All screens are ‘Leapfrog’ screens unless we have a ‘Pin’/’Skip’ opportunity.

‘Leapfrog’ – skip over the closest teammates defender and go direct next defender.  

Looking for curl cuts and post flash cutting off this.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Statistics

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags