Home Forums Topics Player Development Shooting From The Ground Up

Shooting From The Ground Up

• This topic has 5 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by
    Anonymous.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hello,

I really enjoyed the shooting from the ground up course.  I am working with girls in the 9 to 10 year old range.  One being my daughter who will be my guinea pig…  Can anyone speak to their success with this teaching method for 9/10 year old girls?  I assume they teach this method in the PGC skills academy for the 4th to 6th graders so I am sure it works.  Just looking for any tips or advice when applying to that age group.  Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

Anonymous
    Inactive

Would love to get some pointers as well — looking to instill these practices in our youth programs.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I am also using this for my nine year old as my guinea pig – but trying to teach my varsity team as well. What is a good program to use afterwards to work on their hands a bit? We have a couple whose hands are crossing at the end. Also, Tyler’s feet are very narrow by the fifth video. Is that OK?

Anonymous
    Inactive

In regards to Tyler’s feet, the wider base is more preferable due the stability and ability to move from the shooting position.  Everyone’s body type and shot will be different but a good solid base helps speed up and stabilize everything.  I don’t have an answer for the hands but I think emphasizing getting their follow through down the line with the pointer finger finishing low, due to the pronation, will probably help everything.  Have you done PGC’s 2 week online shooting college?  It currently is $95 as a coach.  In my opinion it is worth every penny.  Couple it with this Key 5 class and you should have all the tools to teach it.  

Anonymous
    Inactive

Dave Love, and NBA shooting coach from Canada, talks about feet “hips-width” apart, defined as inside of the feet just outside the hips. This accounts well for different body types, and gives enough stability. Of course, everyone is different, and you adjust from the ideal.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’ve studied shooting since I started coaching 11 years ago, here are my thoughts, take them for what you will:

Players need a good base to be balanced, but having them think about the exact width of their feet is counterproductive.  As long as they are balanced and solid, they should be comfortable.  Obviously change any glaring stance issues, but this something they often work out for themselves.  The one thing I would pay attention to is having either a stagger or offset style, to improve forward/backward balance.

Personally, I think the follow through is the most important part of a shot.  A bad follow through will destroy a shot regardless of the form leading up to it, and sometimes a good follow through can save a shot that had poor form up to that point.  Locked elbow, hand finished to the rim, and what we call a ‘soft point’ to the ground with one or two fingers, to bring the wrist over.  Be careful with girls, as I’ve seen a lot of turned, odd-angled hands on the follow through, which sends the ball offline, and with an unusual spin.

I teach power from the legs, shoot early in the jump to maximize power and lift, and a consistent delivery with the arm, regardless of distance.  

One thing, with teaching younger players, especially girls who tend to launch the ball: have them lock their wrist quickly when bringing the ball up.  This will get their hand under the ball, and produce a better arc for the shot.

Hope this helps.  If it’s all BS to anyone, please let me know, I want to keep learning and learning!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Statistics

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags