Home Forums Topics Player Development Stages

Stages

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Has anyone on here used the Stages system from Better Basketball?  I enjoy having extra resources to supplement our off season development and I have seen some information on this but I am not familiar with anyone that has actually used it.  If anyone has any information on it please let me know.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have it, but it was released right at the beginning of my season, so our focus was on team development. I plan to use it more heavily for player development this spring.  We’ll see how it goes.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Keep me updated. I believe that I am going to purchase it soon so that we can use it this off season. 

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have it.  I used it to run our youth tryouts in town, mostly the ball handling and close range shooting stuff. Have done a little but in our HS season but not much as mentioned above, more focused on team development.   Happy to discuss it further.  Drop me a message and I’m happy to hop on a call!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hey Kelli, thank you for visiting with me on the phone the other day!  That was very helpful.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hey. For what it’s worth, they’ve closed our school (and all the others in Los Angeles). I’m setting up the Stages system for all my athletes so they can use the time to learn how to work out and improve on their own. I’ll let you know what the uptake is.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Interested to hear @Nelson Handel

Please keep us posted

Anonymous
    Inactive

Right before the pandemic began, I spoke with @Kelli Josephsen on the phone and it convinced me to buy the Stages system for a year and try it out.  I had a plan like @Nelson Handel to use it with all of my students that are at home but here in our state we are under dead period protocol so we can’t really give them any feedback.  So my 9 y/o and my 7 y/o have been my guinea pigs using this system.  With that in mind for anyone interested I will give you a couple of things I really like.

1.  There are very clear instructions and a good example on each video so that even if you are in a situation as I am you can be assured that your students will be able to understand what is being asked of them.

2.  There are very clear expectations for what is required for completion, but also some leeway for coaches to make it more difficult.  They give you what it takes to complete, for example one drill might say complete without any mistakes.  Mistakes can be relative to the age group that you are working with.  Working with my high school athletes before our dead period began I gave almost no mercy at all for mistakes.  If they were doing a pound dribble drill and the ball drifted too far one way or the other we would fail them because with them every drill we do we are trying to build some type of mental toughness and focus in it.  With my two little ones though, it is more about giving them something to enjoy while also developing skill, so there is definitely some room to work in there.

3.  It promotes a Growth Mindset.  You have something tangible that you can go to any kid on your team and show them how they have improved.  Any tool that we have that helps us do that I believe is a positive.  

Negative – The website is a little buggy right now.  They are fixing to send out a new update that will be fixing a lot of the bugs on there.  

Anonymous
    Inactive
    On 3/13/2020 at 7:40 PM, Nelson Handel said:

Hey. For what it’s worth, they’ve closed our school (and all the others in Los Angeles). I’m setting up the Stages system for all my athletes so they can use the time to learn how to work out and improve on their own. I’ll let you know what the uptake is.

hey coach – how has it been going? would love to set my athletes up with this, but im not sure exactly how to do it. 

Anonymous
    Inactive

update: my kids did not “leap to the opportunity.” ? To be fair, I put it out there without a lot follow-up, figuring that perhaps 5-6 would bite without prodding, but no go. I attribute this to three things:

1) My program is still new (just completed 2nd year) and I have yet to institute a serious off-season skill development program. I intended to introduce it this year, using Stages as its basis, but…well…you know.

2) without a tradition of off-season development, kids need hands-on teaching to learn how to perform meaningful self-directed workouts. Stages assumes you understand that.

3) because of bugs and the absence of the app, self-directed uptake is difficult. As hard as it is to remember, GenZ is a bit browser-averse. They will surf for info, but everyday web-interactions are less common. I think the App will have a significant positive impact on uptake.

I spoke with Dan about 2 things I think will help, a player-directed video “selling” the system, and the App. He reports that a new back-end platform will be launching very soon, and the app with it. Had no plans for a player video.

So, for me, the jury is still out. My original plan was to hold weekly sessions in which I trained them in its usage, and helped them with their drills, thinking that would jump-start self-directed development. I still believe that’s what’s needed. If my kids were already oriented toward self-development off-season, I think it would have been a great tool in the current (limited contact) circumstances. If my time allows, I may make another push to enroll my kids, with more followup.

I’ll let you know how it goes.

cheers!

Anonymous
    Inactive
    On 3/31/2020 at 3:27 PM, Nelson Handel said:

3) because of bugs and the absence of the app, self-directed uptake is difficult. As hard as it is to remember, GenZ is a bit browser-averse. They will surf for info, but everyday web-interactions are less common. I think the App will have a significant positive impact on uptake.

I spoke with Dan about 2 things I think will help, a player-directed video “selling” the system, and the App. He reports that a new back-end platform will be launching very soon, and the app with it. Had no plans for a player video.

@Nelson Handel seems like we are thinking the same in a lot of areas.

I have done the same—a few of my kids have gotten through Ignition and one is through most of Stage 1… and they’re honest with their feedback. They absolutely HATE using a browser for this type of thing on their phones for workouts.  Mind you, these are kids that are following Rudy B from PGC and doing a lot of his dribbling workouts, taping them, keeping score, sending them to me…. you name it. 

Now, there’s something to be said for them ‘rising up’ to use the Stages system (which I love–I believe in Rick Torbett and the BetterBasketball Community) since using a browser really isn’t THAT much of an obstacle in the grand scheme of life. I’m just of a mind that instead of griping and trying to get them to use a specific platform, I’d rather encourage and celebrate the work that they ARE doing (which is still high quality stuff). 

SIDEBAR—if/when the app gets released I’d love to brainstorm how to integrate Stages into daily practice.  I was given an idea from Rick on a live session this fall, but I’d love to get more ideas/feedback on that as well.

Anonymous
    Inactive

@Nate Wade good thoughts. glad to hear someone reinforcing my suspicions with data. We came up learning tech systems, with new ones coming out all the time. GenZ was born into the app world. I think they expect dedicated service.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    11 hours ago, Nate Wade said:

@Nelson Handel

I’d agree with you on that one. 

I’m 29 and find that I constantly seek out an app now if using an iPad/iPhone even when I could be using the browser version. I didn’t get a smart phone until I was 21. These kids have had one through adolescence–so it makes sense that they would just quickly default to the “this isn’t quality if it’s not an app/browser crossover” mentality. Just my two cents. 

Anonymous
    Inactive

I tried to get this going with my daughters team(9-10 year olds) but only had one taker so I scraped it for now.  I like the idea and the system and feel it is good for the player development but also keeping parents at bay in regards to either playing time or who is getting most of the shots.  Kind of like the Mike Neighbors green light shooting license.  I was more in the player development camp due to the kids age.  When I emailed with them a week ago they said they launched the new back end and were testing out the app for release.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have open this up to grades 10-12, I have had 5 kids that have taken to it.  all the others have done a little of it but not much, they have complained about not having an app at this point.  With things loosening up the hope is that I can work on this in some open gyms.  However I do see it being very beneficial for my team. 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Statistics

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags