Home Forums Topics Systems & Strategies Tag-Up Rebounding

Tag-Up Rebounding

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi guys,

Anyone have experience running the Tag-Up? Anyone have input as to how it might synch with a left-bias D like the Lock Left? (Hopefully this post gets to Jason from Saskatchewan, who mentioned this yesterday)

Justin Gerstung
    Participant

I would assume that it would work well… tagging system basically puts a guy on the ball immediately, who could then influence left.  Everyone matches up as they get back, so as you practice it, I would think as long as they understand where on the floor they are in  relationship to the ball.  I think it could be really effective as long as roles were clarified!!! I would love to hear what other coaches have heard or think…  

Anonymous
    Inactive

I had a great chat with Brandon Sharpe and @Jason Payne about this the other day. Brandon ran a version of the Smart left bias D last year with the Tag-up, and reported essentially what you suggest @Justin Gerstung. He also reflected relative ease to train and minimal ongoing drilling once installed. I’m intrigued. Most intriguingly, it eliminates the need to teach transition D. I’m giving it serious consideration for next year.

Eager to hear if anyone else has experience with it.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Nelson, we were an undersized 9th grade boys team and we learned about the tag up rebounding about half way thru the season…what a difference.

I was tired of doing rebounding drills and not havinig it translate in the game action. i heard @Mark Jarram talk about it in a key5 live learning and researched it. 

We sent all 5 to the offensive boards (which usually meant 3-4 in reality). and we went from averaging like 8.5 offensive boards to averaging like 15 offensive boards per game. We had multiple “extra possessions” where we would get 4-5 offensive rebounds in a possession.

We also play full-court man, so it worked wonderfully, especially limiting run-outs, as you are tagging your guy so he can’t run out past you without you knowing it. 

Plus, it only took like 15 minutes to install and an occassional drill to reinforce it. And it also changed the players mindset i think as well. 

i am definitely installing it this year. 

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thx @Joe Gonzalez. As i was thinking it through last night, I wondered about the vulnerability to grab-n-go’s. With no one getting back with the specific task of rim protection, is the approach more vulnerable to a rebounder putting it on the floor and racing down 1v1? I imagine we could skirmish at such a player, but without help, it feels a bit exposed. Was that an issue for you?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hey guys, thanks for pulling me into the conversation. @Nelson Handel @Joe Gonzalez

We have tagged up previously with both my University team and with our National Team and had some success with it.  It is definitely a strategy worth exploring. Obviously like anything It has to fit you, your team and your personnel. But it has definitely been an x-factor for us the seasons we used it. I did it for 17/18 and 18/19 season, went away from it last year because of personnel and now will be going back to it again this year based on how roster shaping up!

I’m more than happy to jump on a zoom call and talk more about it with anyone. Maybe this can be one of the live learnings we discussed?? @TJ Rosene @Lisa O’Meara

Looking forward to sharing more about it!!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Could be a live learning. Great idea @Mark Jarram. If not, I’m happy to host an informal zoom call with you and anyone else interested.

Anonymous
    Inactive

@Nelson Handel I would be interested in learning more about Tag-Up rebounding if you host an informal zoom call. I am very novice in this topic, but would love to learn more about it. I wrote it down in my notes when it was mentioned in the summer intensive the other day as something I wanted to learn more about. So I @Mark Jarram has a great idea for a live learning, but if that does not happen I would love to jump in on a zoom call. 

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m also interestedbin tag up system if there are any zooms or live learnings! Thanks!

Justin Gerstung
    Participant
    On 6/6/2020 at 1:46 PM, Mark Jarram said:

Hey guys, thanks for pulling me into the conversation. @Nelson Handel @Joe Gonzalez

I would love to do a zoom call or get more information on this!!!! Let me know when and where… 

Anonymous
    Inactive

We’re organizing an informal call for this Friday to discuss. If you’re interested, PM me and I’ll send you the info.

Anonymous
    Inactive

@Nelson Handel saw this late, if you have another call about the tag up system and Lock Left, would love to be apart of it. I put a question in the Lock Left feed the other day. 

with appreciation.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Let’s do a live learning! TJ is up for it.

@Mark Jarram, @Nelson Handel, @Adrian Mills, @Justin Gerstung, @Nikolaus Schweikert and anyone interested.

We can expand on anything you guys have already touched on as well.

Would July 15th potentially at 11 am EST?

Anonymous
    Inactive
    18 minutes ago, Lisa O’Meara said:

Would July 15th potentially at 11 am EST?

PM’d you.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Got it. Thanks Nelson. We’ll have one later in the summer. 

Great topic. Hopefully you can bring your learnings. ? Carry on. 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Statistics

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags