Home Forums Topics Culture Team Building

Team Building

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

We recently started classes and are able to have some small gatherings with our team or have activities outdoors that do not involve our sport. We are currently doing leadership training in small groups, but I’d like to get our entire team together as well. I’m looking for some suggestions for team building activities that we could do outdoors that don’t involve the sharing of equipment and are covid friendly. Has anyone had success with any?

Anonymous
    Inactive

I know this might not be the answer that you are looking for, but I would really consider purchasing the lead em up program by Adam Bradley. It has all types of activities that you can use right away. I was blown away by the content just as I was by what they are doing with Key 5. It cost $99 and you will not be disappointed.

Anonymous
    Inactive

second that. sounds perfect for your situation. On the call the other day, we joked that players liked it best when coaches weren’t talking (and players were doing things). LEU has great games and exercises to use as a base.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks @hhunter2280@gmail.com and @Nelson Handel. Appreciate the recommendation!

Anonymous
    Inactive

So this may not be leadership training – more along the team building – fun activity idea.

You could do minute to win it games. They could be in small group teams, but individuals gets their own equipment and the team could get points based on how they finish in their time in each game or activity. 

You could get creative with the types of games – simply fun and funny or conditioning and training or a combo! ?

(Could be leadership training if you give your ‘leaders in training’ their own teams and provide feedback one on one on how they led their groups)… BONUS! ?

Anonymous
    Inactive
    20 hours ago, Lisa O’Meara said:

So this may not be leadership training – more along the team building – fun activity idea.

You could do minute to win it games. They could be in small group teams, but individuals gets their own equipment and the team could get points based on how they finish in their time in each game or activity. 

You could get creative with the types of games – simply fun and funny or conditioning and training or a combo! ?

(Could be leadership training if you give your ‘leaders in training’ their own teams and provide feedback one on one on how they led their groups)… BONUS! ?

Thanks, Lisa. Love this idea and especially the point about using it to give our leaders in training feedback. In a time where we aren’t able to be on court yet, it creates a great opportunity for me to be able to evaluate them in a leadership role and in a natural environment for them. And being able to provide them feedback throughout this process could be really beneficial for them and help create more meaningful dialogue as the season goes on for us?

Do you think this or other activities like this, could be a way to see who emerges as leaders for us?

Any suggestions on trying to establish leaders while empowering the rest of our players to still have a voice, but to be a great follower so that we are moving in one direction and supporting those that are in leadership roles?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Survivor game: Set up an obstacle course (chairs, pads, wrestling mats, not dangerous). Teams of 3 or 4 (more is more challenging, loads the game). One person is the Caller, the others are blindfolded at the other side of the obstacle course. Caller must guide their team over the finish line. Set a clock, so there’s pressure. Team gets 1 point for every obstacle they touch.  Winner gets a deduction (-3 or something). Low score wins.

works on communications clarity, calm under pressure, clarity of language. You’ll see who your leaders are real quick.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    On 9/17/2020 at 1:28 AM, Nelson Handel said:

Survivor game: Set up an obstacle course (chairs, pads, wrestling mats, not dangerous). Teams of 3 or 4 (more is more challenging, loads the game). One person is the Caller, the others are blindfolded at the other side of the obstacle course. Caller must guide their team over the finish line. Set a clock, so there’s pressure. Team gets 1 point for every obstacle they touch.  Winner gets a deduction (-3 or something). Low score wins.

works on communications clarity, calm under pressure, clarity of language. You’ll see who your leaders are real quick.

Wish we could do this now but the only shared equipment allowed are balls (and they have to be cleaned with alcohol spray before & after sharing, as are hands). Can’t even use cones! I’m reduced to chalk on the pavement – which gets rubbed off in 2 minutes…. ? 

But: we are playing, if down to once a week. How dare I complain?! 

Anonymous
    Inactive

this is a great thread with some really good ideas!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thought I’d share an idea that we’ve just started using that came from Regis University’s women’s soccer program. It’s been well received and has stirred up some competition between our players as well. They’ve really gotten into it. I anticipate us taking the last couple challenges to the court as we are able to start practice on Thursday!

We’ve started and are a few rounds into our Sabre Olympics. We’ve split our players into teams of 3. Each day there is a new challenge that they must complete and send in for review. We’ve utilized a couple of our on campus personnel as guest judges and it’s been a great way to get them involved and to allow them to see our players in a different light. We awarded 5 points for gold, 3 points for silver and 1 point for bronze per round.

They hosted 12 rounds and eventually crowned a champion. Some examples of challenges that they used or that we are considering are:

A Tik Tok challenge

Most creative poster advertising the team’s culture

Memes with funniest action shot

Most creative mask-up photo

Music video challenge

Best video highlighting a core value of the program

Best or most creative arrangement of food on your plate

Creative photo with a faculty member

Solo cup stacking challenge 

Best pre-game speech

Anonymous
    Inactive
    18 hours ago, Kristen Rogers said:

Thought I’d share an idea that we’ve just started using that came from Regis University’s women’s soccer program. It’s been well received and has stirred up some competition between our players as well. They’ve really gotten into it. I anticipate us taking the last couple challenges to the court as we are able to start practice on Thursday!

We’ve started and are a few rounds into our Sabre Olympics. We’ve split our players into teams of 3. Each day there is a new challenge that they must complete and send in for review. We’ve utilized a couple of our on campus personnel as guest judges and it’s been a great way to get them involved and to allow them to see our players in a different light. We awarded 5 points for gold, 3 points for silver and 1 point for bronze per round.

They hosted 12 rounds and eventually crowned a champion. Some examples of challenges that they used or that we are considering are:

A Tik Tok challenge

Most creative poster advertising the team’s culture

Memes with funniest action shot

Most creative mask-up photo

Music video challenge

Best video highlighting a core value of the program

Best or most creative arrangement of food on your plate

Creative photo with a faculty member

Solo cup stacking challenge 

Best pre-game speech

That’s fantastic, Kristen! Glad to hear that the ladies are enjoying it and love to hear how it finishes. Sounds like it is great fun.  

And AWESOME news about playing again! Long may you & your team stay healthy! Enjoy & savour the moment at your first session! ? 

Anonymous
    Inactive

I try to do some type of team building activity away from the basketball court every month.  Just time for the girls to spend together getting to know each other and an opportunity for us coaches to get to see our girls in a different element.  These are more team, fun ideas, although we do use one of them to try to help our kids connect with their community and another one as an opportunity to give back in a small way.

Some of the more popular ones we have done:

Travel together to an away football game and have dinner together.  This year we had to modify this one due to Covid restrictions.  We watched a livestream and ate together during a football game.  On another day our tennis team plays in a park, so I took them to that park and bought them all drinks from a coffee shop and we sat outside and watched our tennis teams.

Team scavenger hunt.  Stole this idea from some other guys.  I love doing this right at the start of the year.  We use it to introduce new girls not only to the program but also to the history of our school and town.  This is a good bonding event and also gives the girls an idea of who they represent when they play each night.

Pumpkin Carving Contest.  Fixing to do this one again.  We carved pumpkins in pairs this past year.  Then we posted the pictures of some of them online and let the community vote.  After we carved the pumpkins, we took the finished products to a local nursing home for their residents to enjoy.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Statistics

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags