Tom Kelsey is the Director of Basketball Operations for LSU Men’s Basketball. At a recent PGC/Glazier Coaching Clinic he elaborated on 7 things every coach needs to consider to help them get the job they want. Tom is a part of the Better Basketball family as he played for Rick Torbett in high school.
What Are Your Goals?
Goal Setting System: Set 10 goals every day
- Go with the right person (as an Asst) (Right Admin as head coach)
-Values must match
- Go where your skills will be utilized
- What level? What league? (Importance)
- Professionally done & edited
- What do you want to know about the candidate if you were on the other side?
- Eliminate the things that don’t matter (Distractions)
- Spark —> How is your story different?
- All RELEVANT jobs
- What have you done to prepare for the next job?
- Give a vivid description of what you have done
- Names with contact info (easy to access)
- Who will call on your behalf that will SELL you?
- Circle of Influence
- What is your niche?
- Something you do better than anyone else
- How well can it be articulated on paper?
- How have you separated yourself?
- Do you know it?
- Can you teach it?
- Do players improve from it?
- Can you recruit to it?
- Does it sell to the Administration?
- Ask/Answer tough questions
- Practice interview (with people who’ve been there before)
- If we were sitting here in 3 years, what has to happen in those previous 3 years in order for you to feel good about your personal/professional growth?
- Have a back up plan
- Update resume yearly
- List accomplishments, jobs, new skills acquired, etc